Social Conformity And Bounded Rationality In Arbitrary Games With Incomplete Information : Some First Results
It has been frequently observed, in both economics and psychology, that individuals tend to conform to the choices of other individuals with whom they identify. Can such conformity be consistent with self interested behaviour? To address this question we use the framework of games with incomplete information. For a given game we first put a lower bound on * so that there exists a Nash *-equilibrium in pure strategies consistent with conformity. We also introduce a new concept of conformity that allows players to conform and yet perform different actions. This is achieved by the endogeneous assignment of roles to players and by allowing actions to be conditional on roles. We conclude by relating our research to some experimental literature.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CV4 7AL COVENTRY|
Phone: +44 (0) 2476 523202
Fax: +44 (0) 2476 523032
Web page: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Conley, John P. & Wooders, Myrna H., 2001. "Tiebout Economies with Differential Genetic Types and Endogenously Chosen Crowding Characteristics," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 261-294, June.
- Van Huyck, John B & Battalio, Raymond C & Beil, Richard O, 1990.
"Tacit Coordination Games, Strategic Uncertainty, and Coordination Failure,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 234-248, March.
- John B Van Huyck & Raymond C Battalio & Richard O Beil, 1997. "Tacit coordination games, strategic uncertainty, and coordination failure," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1225, David K. Levine.
- J. B. Van Huyck & R. C. Battalio & R. O. Beil, 2010. "Tacit coordination games, strategic uncertainty, and coordination failure," Levine's Working Paper Archive 661465000000000393, David K. Levine.
- Shleifer, Andrei, 2000. "Inefficient Markets: An Introduction to Behavioral Finance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292272.
- Wooders, Myrna & Edward Cartwright & Selten, Reinhard, 2002. "Social Conformity And Equilibrium In Pure Strategies In Games With Many Players," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 636, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Rui Pascoa, Mario, 1993. "Approximate equilibrium in pure strategies for non-atomic games," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 223-241.
- Kovalenkov, Alexander & Wooders, Myrna, 2003.
"Approximate cores of games and economies with clubs,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 87-120, May.
- Alexander Kovalenkov & Myrna H. Wooders, 1998. "Approximate cores of games and economies with clubs," Working Papers mwooders-00-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Kovalenkov, Alexander & Wooders, Myrna Holtz, 1999. "Approximate Cores Of Games And Economies With Clubs," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 535, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Kovalenkov, Alexander & Wooders, Myrna Holtz, 2002. "Approximate Cores Of Games And Economies With Clubs," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 634, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Alexander Kovalenkov & Myrna Holtz Wooders, 2000. "Approximate Cores of Games and Economies with Clubs," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1790, Econometric Society.
- Shaun Hargreaves-Heap & Yanis Varoufakis, 2002. "Some Experimental Evidence On The Evolution Of Discrimination, Co--Operation And Perceptions Of Fairness," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(481), pages 679-703, July.