Uraguay Round Impacts on Canada
The Uruguay Round was the most ambitious round of GATT negotiations ever undertaken. This paper offers an evaluation of possible effects of the Final Act of the Uruguay Round with a special focus on Canada. Our two main findings can be summarized as follows: (1)First, the estimated impacts of the Uruguay Round are more modest than previous estimates. This is due to a number of differences between the Final Act of the round and the outcome which had earlier been expected in studies using liberalisation scenarios based on the Draft Final Act (or Dunkel Draft). (2)Our second finding pertains to the liberalisation in textiles and clothing which may be the most significant part of the Uruguay Round in terms of its reallocative impact in Canada. Output, employment and exports of textiles and clothing are likely to fall, and in turn cause factors to shift to other sectors.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 75 University Ave. West, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3C5|
Phone: (519) 884-0710 ext 2056
Fax: (519) 884-0201
Web page: http://www.wlu.ca/sbe/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nguyen, T.T. & Perroni, C. & Wigle, R.M., 1991.
"The Value of a Uruguay Round Success,"
91151, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867, December.
- Trela, Irene & Whalley, John, 1990. "Global Effects of Developed Country Trade Restrictions on Textiles and Apparel," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(403), pages 1190-1205, December.
- Markusen, James R & Wigle, Randall M, 1990. "Explaining the Volume of North-South Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(403), pages 1206-1215, December.
- Nguyen, T.T & Wigle, R.M., 1988. "Trade Liberalization With Imperfect Competition: The Large And Small Of It," Working Papers 89128, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Petersen, Christian E, 1992. "Trade Conflict and Resolution Methodologies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 62-66, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wlu:wpaper:96004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrei Kovacsik)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.