Assessing the impact of offline URL advertising
To examine the impact of offline URL advertising, a quantitative study among internet users and non-users is carried out. For internet users, the results reveal a significant impact on each level of the hierarchy of effects. Respondents remembering an offline URL ad are more aware and have a higher knowledge of the site, show a more positive attitude towards the site, and indicate a higher intention to visit/revisit the site. Remarkably, offline URL advertising not only is able to attract internet users to the site the first time, but also to generate an impact over and above site experience by increasing the likelihood of revisiting the site. For internet non-users, offline URL advertising is significantly less effective.
|Date of creation:||12 Feb 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reep 1, 9000 Gent|
Phone: +32 9 210 98 99
Fax: +32 9 210 97 00
Web page: http://www.vlerick.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. De Pelsmacker & M. Geuens & P. Anckaert, 2002. "Media context and advertising effectiveness: The role of context appreciation and context-ad similarity," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 02/162, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- M. Brengman & M. Geuens & B. Weijters & S. M. Smith & R. Swinyard, 2003.
"Segmenting Internet shoppers based on their web-usage-related lifestyle: a cross-cultural validation,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
03/205, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Brengman, Malaika & Geuens, Maggie & Weijters, Bert & Smith, Scott M. & Swinyard, William R., 2005. "Segmenting Internet shoppers based on their Web-usage-related lifestyle: a cross-cultural validation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 79-88, January.
- Brown, Steven P & Stayman, Douglas M, 1992. " Antecedents and Consequences of Attitude toward the Ad: A Meta-analysis," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 34-51, June.
- Meyers-Levy, Joan & Tybout, Alice M, 1997. " Context Effects at Encoding and Judgment in Consumption Settings: The Role of Cognitive Resources," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 1-14, June.
- Schmitt, Bernd H & Zhang, Shi, 1998. " Language Structure and Categorization: A Study of Classifiers in Consumer Cognition, Judgment, and Choice," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 108-122, September.
- Pham, Michel Tuan, 1998. " Representativeness, Relevance, and the Use of Feelings in Decision Making," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 144-159, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vlg:vlgwps:2003-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabelle Vandenbroere)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.