A Nonparametric Analysis of Income Convergence Across the US States
In this paper I apply the nonparametric methods proposed by Quah to data on US state relative income levels. In contrast to Quah’s results using cross-country data I find no evidence of polarization in the cross-state income distribution. The long-run density implied by the estimates is strongly unimodal. This finding is consistent with the results of previous analyses of convergence in state income levels using other methods.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Economics Letters, 2000, 69:219-23.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Maildrop 708, 124 Raymond Avenue, Poughkeepsie NY 12604-0708|
Web page: http://irving.vassar.edu/VCEWP/VCEWP.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven N. Durlauf & Danny T. Quah, 1998.
"The New Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
6422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Durlauf,S.N. & Quah,D.T., 1998. "The new empirics of economic growth," Working papers 3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- S Durlauf & Danny Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," CEP Discussion Papers dp0384, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Danny T. Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," Working Papers 98-01-012, Santa Fe Institute.
- Oded Izraeli & Kevin Murphy, 1997. "Convergence in State Nominal and Real Per Capita Income: Empirical Evidence," Public Finance Review, , vol. 25(6), pages 555-576, November.
- Quah, Danny, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Empirics for economic growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1353-1375, June.
- Quah, Danny T, 1996. "Convergence Empirics across Economies with (Some) Capital Mobility," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 95-124, March.
- Roberts, Charles A., 1979. "Interregional Per Capita Income Differentials and Convergence: 1880–1950," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(01), pages 101-112, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vas:papers:46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sean Flynn)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Sean Flynn to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.