Endogenous Credit Cycles
We study models of credit with limited commitment, which implies endogenous borrowing constraints. We show that there are multiple stationary equilibria, as well as nonstationary equilibria, including some that display deterministic cyclic and chaotic dynamics. There are also stochastic (sunspot) equilibria, in which credit conditions change randomly over time, even though fundamentals are deterministic and stationary. We show this can occur when the terms of trade are determined by Walrasian pricing or by Nash bargaining. The results illustrate how it is possible to generate equilibria with credit cycles (crunches, freezes, crises) in theory, and as recently observed in actual economies.
|Date of creation:||11 Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 118 Professional Building, Columbia, MO 65211|
Phone: (573) 882-0063
Fax: (573) 882-2697
Web page: http://economics.missouri.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boragan Aruoba, S. & Rocheteau, Guillaume & Waller, Christopher, 2007.
"Bargaining and the value of money,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2636-2655, November.
- Nosal, Ed & Rocheteau, Guillaume, 2011. "Money, Payments, and Liquidity," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262016281.
- Randall Wright & Cyril Monnet & Fabrizio Mattesini, 2009.
"Banking: a mechanism design approach,"
2009 Meeting Papers
635, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christian Hellwig & Guido Lorenzoni, 2009.
"Bubbles and Self-Enforcing Debt,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(4), pages 1137-1164, 07.
- Marcellus Andrews, 2009. "Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy, and Why It Matters for Global Capitalism, by George A. Akerlof and Robert J. Shiller," Challenge, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 52(5), pages 126-131, September.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2004.
"Money in search equilibrium, in competitive equilibrium, and in competitive search equilibrium,"
0405, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2005. "Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 175-202, 01.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Randall Wright, 2003. "Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium," PIER Working Paper Archive 03-031, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Randall Wright & Guillame Rocheteau, 2003. "Money in Search Equilibrium, in Competitive Equilibrium, and in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000302, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cynthia Harter, 2009. "Review of "Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy and Why it Matters for Global Capitalism"," International Review of Economic Education, Economics Network, University of Bristol, vol. 8(1), pages 155-157.
- Carol C. Bertaut & Michael Haliassos, 2001. "Debt Revolvers for Self Control," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0208, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Sanches, Daniel & Williamson, Stephen, 2010.
"Money and credit with limited commitment and theft,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 145(4), pages 1525-1549, July.
- Williamson, Stephen & Sanches, Daniel, 2009. "Money and Credit With Limited Commitment and Theft," MPRA Paper 20690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Laibson & Andrea Repetto & Jeremy Tobacman, 2000.
"A Debt Puzzle,"
Documentos de Trabajo
80, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 2009. "Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy, and Why it Matters for Global Capitalism," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 85(270), pages 357-358, 09.
- Azariadis, Costas & Kaas, Leo, 2007. "Asset price fluctuations without aggregate shocks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 126-143, September.
- D. Aliprantis, C. & Camera, G. & Puzzello, D., 2007.
"Anonymous markets and monetary trading,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1905-1928, October.
- Costas Azariadis & Leo Kaas, 2012.
"Endogenous Credit Limits with Small Default Costs,"
Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz
2012-17, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- George A. Akerlof, 2009. "How Human Psychology Drives the Economy and Why It Matters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1175-1175.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umc:wpaper:1011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerie Kulp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.