Do eBay Sellers Comply with State Sales Taxes?
The rapid growth in online commerce has harmed state sales tax bases. However, the extent of this base reduction is difficult to estimate. In this paper we collect our own data from eBay.com on a "representative" commodity classification and a "typical" day. Our data consist of nearly twenty-one thousand eBay listings generated by over seven thousand individual sellers with over ninety-three hundred buyers. We find that overall eBay seller compliance is quite low but that compliance by established sellers is significantly higher. Given that established sellers account for the bulk of online commerce, the estimated revenue loss from eBay seller noncompliance may be relatively small.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 206 Tilton Hall, New Orleans, LA 70118|
Phone: (504) 865-5321
Fax: (504) 865-5869
Web page: http://econ.tulane.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garrett, Thomas A. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2002. "The revenue impacts of cross-border lottery shopping in the presence of spatial autocorrelation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 501-519, July.
- Fox, William F. & Luna, LeAnn & Murray, Matthew N., 2008. "The SSTP and Technology: Implications for the Future of the Sales Tax," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 61(4), pages 823-841, December.
- repec:ntj:journl:v:52:y:1999:i:n._3:p:413-28 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ntj:journl:v:53:y:2000:i:n._4:p:801-24 is not listed on IDEAS
- James Alm & Mikhail I. Melnik, 2005. "Sales Taxes and the Decision to Purchase Online," Public Finance Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 184-212, March.
- repec:ntj:journl:v:53:y:2000:i:n._4:p:1373-90 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gordon, Roger H. & Bo Nielsen, Soren, 1997. "Tax evasion in an open economy:: Value-added vs. income taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 173-197, November.
- Donald Bruce & William Fox & Matthew Murray, 2003. "To Tax Or Not To Tax? The Case Of Electronic Commerce," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(1), pages 25-40, 01.
- Ballard, Charles L. & Lee, Jaimin, 2007. "Internet Purchases, Cross-Border Shopping, and Sales Taxes," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 60(4), pages 711-725, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tul:wpaper:1106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rodrigo Aranda Balcazar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.