Petrol Price Asymmetries Revisited
An error correction model is fitted to monthly data on net retail prices for the United Kingdom over the period January 1982 to June 1995 in order to examine the short-run response of retail petrol prices to changes in input costs and the exchange rate. The hypothesis of a symmetric response by petrol retailers to crude price rises and falls is rejected by the data over the period examined. A similar hypothesis in regard to the exchange rate is also rejected by the data.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44(0)1483 686956
Fax: +44(0)1483 689548
Web page: http://www.seec.surrey.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Severin Borenstein & A. Colin Cameron, 1992.
"Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?,"
NBER Working Papers
4138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borenstein, Severin & Cameron, A Colin & Gilbert, Richard, 1997. "Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 305-39, February.
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992.
"The Power of Cointegration Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Salkever, David S., 1976. "The use of dummy variables to compute predictions, prediction errors, and confidence intervals," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 393-397, November.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Bacon, Robert W., 1991. "Rockets and feathers: the asymmetric speed of adjustment of UK retail gasoline prices to cost changes," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 211-218, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sur:seedps:89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lester C Hunt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.