Simulated Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Continuous Time Stochastic Volatility Models
In this paper we develop and implement a method for maximum simulated likelihood estimation of the continuous time stochastic volatility model with the constant elasticity of volatility. The approach do not require observations on option prices nor volatility. To integrate out latent volatility from the joint density of return and volatility, a modi ed ecient importance sampling technique is used after the continuous time model is approximated using the Euler-Maruyama scheme. The Monte Carlo studies show that the method works well and the empirical applications illustrate usefulness of the method. Empirical results provide strong evidence against the Heston model.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in SMU-SKBI CoFie Working Paper|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 50 Stamford Road, Singapore 178903|
Phone: (65) 6828 0877
Fax: (65) 6828 0888
Web page: http://www.smu.edu.sg/institutes/skbife/index.asp
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Durham, Garland B., 2006. "Monte Carlo methods for estimating, smoothing, and filtering one- and two-factor stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 273-305, July.
- Kleppe, Tore Selland & Skaug, Hans Julius, 2012. "Fitting general stochastic volatility models using Laplace accelerated sequential importance sampling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3105-3119.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "ARCH models as diffusion approximations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Jun Yu, 2004.
"On Leverage in a Stochastic Volatility Model,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
506, Econometric Society.
- Liesenfeld, Roman & Richard, Jean-Francois, 2003. "Univariate and multivariate stochastic volatility models: estimation and diagnostics," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 505-531, September.
- Hiroyuki Kawakatsu, 2007. "Numerical integration-based Gaussian mixture filters for maximum likelihood estimation of asymmetric stochastic volatility models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(2), pages 342-358, 07.
- Jones, Christopher S., 2003. "The dynamics of stochastic volatility: evidence from underlying and options markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 181-224.
- Bauwens, L. & Galli, F., 2009.
"Efficient importance sampling for ML estimation of SCD models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1974-1992, April.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GALLI, Fausto, . "Efficient importance sampling for ML estimation of SCD models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2088, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & GALLI, Fausto, 2007. "Efficient importance sampling for ML estimation of SCD models," CORE Discussion Papers 2007053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc, BAUWENS & Fausto Galli, 2007. "Efficient importance sampling for ML estimation of SCD models," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2007032, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Liesenfeld, Roman & Richard, Jean-François, 2004.
"Classical and Bayesian Analysis of Univariate and Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models,"
Economics Working Papers
2004,12, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Roman Liesenfeld & Jean-Francois Richard, 2006. "Classical and Bayesian Analysis of Univariate and Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2-3), pages 335-360.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- repec:pit:wpaper:321 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard, Jean-Francois & Zhang, Wei, 2007. "Efficient high-dimensional importance sampling," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1385-1411, December.
- Yu, Jialin, 2007. "Closed-form likelihood approximation and estimation of jump-diffusions with an application to the realignment risk of the Chinese Yuan," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1245-1280, December.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Ai[diaeresis]t-Sahalia, Yacine & Kimmel, Robert, 2007. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stochastic volatility models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 413-452, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:skb:wpaper:cofie-09-2009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sim Kee Boon Institute for Financial Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.