IDEAS home Printed from
MyIDEAS: Log in (now much improved!) to save this paper

Inflation and Relative Prices: The Australian Experience

Listed author(s):
  • Kenneth W. Clements

    (Reserve Bank of Asutralia)

  • Phuong Nguyen

    (Reserve Bank of Australia)

The stylized fact of the inflationary process is that it makes life more uncertain. If prices are increasing rapidly it is argued that there is more noise in the system so that prices convey less information. This implies that people will make wrong decisions if they do not make substantial investments in collecting additional price information. It seems likely that initially people will not catch on to what’s happening, not collect the required additional information, and consequently make wrong decisions. For example, in times of inflation a shopper at a supermarket would have to make literally thousands of pairwise price comparisons in order to have full information about the new price structure. Such a large information requirement clearly does not make life any easier for shoppers and it is likely that they would respond by learning about the new price structure not immediately, but over time. These general notions about the uncertainty effects of inflation have a great deal of intuitive appeal. But very little formal research has been devoted to understanding these issues. In this paper we analyse one aspect of the area, the distortive effects of inflation on relative prices. Using quarterly Australian data for consumer prices, we find that inflation does systematically change relative prices; i.e. some prices consistently rise by more than the overall rate of inflation and some consistently rise by less. This means that inflation (i) causes costly resource reallocations and changes in consumption patterns; and (ii) makes it more difficult to forecast prices, which raises the degree of uncertainty in the economy. To illustrate the results, in Table 1 we give the percentage of the variability of each consumer price due to (i) inflation and (ii) real changes in the economy (changes in income, tastes, technology, etc.). As can be seen, 19 per cent of the variability of the price of food is due to inflation and the remaining 81 per cent is due to real factors. The last row of the table gives the inflation and real percentages for all relative price changes. These totals are weighted averages of the corresponding individual commodity percentages. Inflation accounts for 24 per cent of the total relative price variability. Our results indicate that the distortion of relative prices is substantial and should be included in any evaluation of the cost of inflation.

If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.

File URL:
Download Restriction: no

Paper provided by Reserve Bank of Australia in its series RBA Research Discussion Papers with number rdp8007.

in new window

Date of creation: Oct 1980
Handle: RePEc:rba:rbardp:rdp8007
Contact details of provider: Postal:
GPO Box 3947, Sydney NSW 2001

Phone: 61-2-9551-8111
Fax: 61-2-9551-8000
Web page:

More information through EDIRC

No references listed on IDEAS
You can help add them by filling out this form.

This item is not listed on Wikipedia, on a reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.

When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rba:rbardp:rdp8007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paula Drew)

If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.

If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.

If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.

This information is provided to you by IDEAS at the Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis using RePEc data.