Financial Liberalization and Inflationary Dynamics in the Context of a Small Open Economy
The paper develops a short-run model of a small open financially repressed economy characterized by unorganized money markets, intermediate good imports, capital mobility and flexible exchange rates. The analysis shows that financial liberalization, in the form of increased rate of interest on deposits and tight monetary policy causes deflation for an economy with high degree of capital mobility. However, for economies with low degree of capital mobility, the possibility of stagflation cannot be ruled out. The paper recommends financial liberalization in the form of lower reserve requirements for economies with restricted transactions in the capital account.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+2712) 420 2413
Fax: (+2712) 362-5207
Web page: http://www.up.ac.za/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Wijnbergen, S., 1982. "Stagflationary effects of monetary stabilization policies : A quantitative analysis of South Korea," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 133-169, April.
- Van Wijnbergen, S., 1983. "Interest rate management in LDC's," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 433-452, September.
- Van Wijnbergen, S., 1985. "Macro-economic effects of changes in bank interest rates : Simulation results for South Korea," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 541-554, August.
- Van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1986.
"Exchange rate management and stabilization policies in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 227-247, October.
- Sweder van Wijnbergen, 1986. "Exchange Rate Management and Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Adjustment and Exchange Rates in Developing Countries, pages 17-42 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ranjanendra Narayan Nag, 2000. "Stabilization Dynamics and Non Bank Financial Intermediaries," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 193-209, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pre:wpaper:200506. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.