Рыночная Доля Банков С Государственным Участием В России
[Market share of state-influenced banks in Russia]
In this paper we rely on empirical data to develop a classification of state-influenced banks. An estimate of such banks’ combined market share by July 1, 2009 is suggested. We identify 53 state-controlled banks in Russia, including state-owned banks and state-governed banks. Public sector in the banking industry is not limited to the property of federal-level executive authorities or the Central Bank of Russia. It also comprises banks effectively controlled by sub-federal (regional and municipal) authorities, by state-owned enterprises and banks and by “state corporations”. Altogether these banks account for 56% to 57% of all banking assets. Banks owned by public capital indirectly are the fastest-growing group among state-influenced institutions. Concentration grows within public sector of the banking industry, with top-5 state-controlled banking groups in possession of over 49% of national bank assets. We also contemplate a crowding out and erosion of domestic private capital whose market share shrinks from year to year. Effectively a return to a state-run credit system has been accomplished. Several largest state-owned banks now constitute a de facto intermediate third tier of the banking system. Russia’s transition path goes in a quite different direction from that of CEE countries.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Karas, Alexei & Schoors , Koen & Weill, Laurent, 2008.
"Are private banks more efficient than public banks? Evidence from Russia,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
3/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Alexei Karas & Koen Schoors & Laurent Weill, 2008. "Are private banks more efficient than public banks ? Evidence from Russia," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2008-15, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- A. Karas & K. Schoors & L. Weill, 2008. "Are private banks more efficient than public banks? Evidence from Russia," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 08/519, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17897. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.