An Analysis of Benefit Flows in New Zealand Using a Social Accounting Framework
This paper presents a social accounting model to examine the entrants, exits and transitions of individuals among a wide range of benefit categories in New Zealand. Transition rates and flows are estimated separately for periods before the global financial crisis (GFC) and periods following the crisis. The data were obtained from the Benefit Dynamics Dataset maintained by the Ministry of Social Development. The model is used to examine, using simulations, the implications for the time profile of changes in the stock of benefit recipients under a range of counterfactual situations. It is suggested that the model can provide a useful tool for policy analysis.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: New Zealand Treasury, PO Box 3724, Wellington, New Zealand|
Phone: +64-4-472 2733
Fax: +64-4-473 0982
Web page: http://www.treasury.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Creedy, John & Disney, Richard, 1981. "Changes in Labour Market States in Great Britain," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 28(1), pages 76-85, February.
- Omar Aziz & Nick Carroll & John Creedy, 2013.
"An Analysis of Benefit Flows in New Zealand Using a Social Accounting Framework,"
Treasury Working Paper Series
13/01, New Zealand Treasury.
- Omar Aziz & Nick Carroll & John Creedy, 2015. "An analysis of benefit flows in New Zealand using a social accounting framework," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(1), pages 1-21, April.
- Aziz, Omar & Carroll, Nick & Creedy, John, 2013. "An Analysis of Benefit Flows in New Zealand using a Social Accounting Framework," Working Paper Series 2840, Victoria University of Wellington, Chair in Public Finance.
- Creedy, John & Disney, Richard, 1981. "Eligibility for Unemployment Benefits in Great Britain," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 256-73, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nzt:nztwps:13/01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web and Publishing Team, The Treasury)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.