Revealed Preference with Stochastic Demand Correspondence
We unify and expand the theory of consumer’s behavior, based on Samuelson’s Weak Axiom of Revealed Preference, to permit simultaneously both random choice and non-singleton choice sets. We provide a consistency postulate for demand behavior when such behavior is represented in terms of a stochastic demand correspondence. When the consumer spends her entire wealth, our rationality postulate is equivalent to a condition we term stochastic substitutability. This equivalence generates: (i) Samuelson’s Substitution Theorem, (ii) the central result in Bandyopadhyay, Dasgupta and Pattanaik (2004) and (iii) a version pertinent to deterministic demand correspondences (which independently yields Samuelson’s Substitution Theorem), as alternative special cases. Relevant versions of the non-positivity of the own substitution effect, the demand theorem and homogeneity of degree zero in prices and wealth for the consumer’s demand behavior, also follow as corollaries in every case.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Quah, 2006.
"Weak axiomatic demand theory,"
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 677-699, November.
- Dasgupta, Indraneel, 2009.
"Supply Theory sans Profit-Maximization,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4018, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bandyopadhyay, Taradas & Dasgupta, Indraneel & Pattanaik, Prasanta K., 1999. "Stochastic Revealed Preference and the Theory of Demand," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 95-110, January.
- Taradas Bandyopadhyay & Indraneel Dasgupta & Prasanta Pattanaik, 2004. "A general revealed preference theorem for stochastic demand behavior," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 589-599, March.
- Bandyopadhyay, Taradas & Bandyopadhyay, Bandyopadhyay & Pattanaik, Prasanta K., 2002. "Demand Aggregation and the Weak Axiom of Stochastic Revealed Preference," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 483-489, December.
- WILLIAM J. McCAUSLAND, 2009. "Random Consumer Demand," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(301), pages 89-107, 02.
- Barbera, Salvador & Pattanaik, Prasanta K, 1986. "Falmagne and the Rationalizability of Stochastic Choices in Terms of Random Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 707-15, May.
- Indraneel Dasgupta & Prasanta Pattanaik, 2007. "‘Regular’ choice and the weak axiom of stochastic revealed preference," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 35-50, April.
- Indraneel Dasgupta, 2005. "Consistent firm choice and the theory of supply," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 167-175, 07.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1987. "Revealed Preferences and Differentiable Demand: Notes and Comments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 687-91, May.
- Dekel, Eddie & Lipman, Barton L & Rustichini, Aldo, 2001.
"Representing Preferences with a Unique Subjective State Space,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(4), pages 891-934, July.
- Eddie Dekel, 1997. "A Unique Subjective State Space for Unforeseen Contingencies," Discussion Papers 1202, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Daniel McFadden, 2005. "Revealed stochastic preference: a synthesis," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 245-264, 08.
- J. C. R. Alcantud, 2005.
"Stochastic demand correspondences and their aggregation properties,"
- J. C. R. Alcantud, 2003. "Stochastic demand correspondences and their aggregation properties," Microeconomics 0309001, EconWPA, revised 08 Jan 2005.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1971. "Choice Functions and Revealed Preference," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(115), pages 307-17, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notecp:07/06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.