Sectoral Solow Residuals
This paper presents capital utilization corrected measures of technology shocks for aggregate and disaggregated (two digit Standard Industrial Classification code) industries. We correct for variations in capital utilization by employing industrial electrical use as a measure of capital services. In contrast, the standard measures of technology shocks used in the Real Business Cycle literature are based on economy wide data and assume that capital services are proportional to the stock of measured capital. To assess the impact of these differences, we contrast selected properties of the competing technology shock measures. We argue that the properties of technology shocks for the manufacturing sector are quite different than those used in the RBC literature. We also find that correcting for capital utilization has important implications for the properties of the Solow residual.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Burnside, A. Craig, Martin S. Eichenbaum and Sergio T. Rebelo. "Sectoral Solow Residuals," European Economic Review, 1996, v40(3-5,Apr), 861-869.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1996.
"Factor-Hoarding and the Propagation of Business-Cycle Shocks,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1154-74, December.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum, 1994. "Factor Hoarding and the Propagation of Business Cycles Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1995.
"Capital Utilization and Returns to Scale,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1221, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1995. "Capital Utilization and Returns to Scale," NBER Working Papers 5125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1995. "Capital utilization and returns to scale," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 95-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Burnside, C & Eichenbaum, M & Rebelo, S, 1995. "Capital Utilization and Returns to Scale," RCER Working Papers 402, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Basu, S., 1993. "Procyclical Productivity: Overhead Inputs or Cyclical Utilization," Papers 93-25, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:5286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.