The Effect of the Treasury Proposal on Charitable Giving: A Comparison of Constant and Variable Elasticity Models
The recent proposal for tax reform developed by the Department of the Treasury suggests dramatic changes in the structure of the personal income tax. One likely side effect of the changes will be a significant adverse impact on the level of charitable contributions by individuals.This paper evaluates the marginal effect on giving of various parts of the Treasury reform plan using the existing literature on the price and income elasticities of charitable behavior. Two explicit models are simulated for 1985 using the NBER TAXSIM model: one with constant price and income elasticities and one with the price and income elasticities varying with income.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1985|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as "The Effect of the President's Tax Reform on Charitable Giving", National Tax Journal, Vol. 39, no. 1 (1986): 1-12.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin S. Feldstein & Lawrence Lindsey, 1983.
"Simulating Nonlinear Tax Rules and Nonstandard Behavior: An Application to the Tax Treatment of Charitable Contributions,"
in: Behavioral Simulation Methods in Tax Policy Analysis, pages 139-172
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein & Lawrence B. Lindsey, 1981. "Simulating Nonlinear Tax Rules and Nonstandard Behavior: An Application to the Tax Treatment of Charitable Contributions," NBER Working Papers 0682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein & Joel Slemrod & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1981.
"The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains,"
NBER Working Papers
0250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin & Slemrod, Joel & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1980. "The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 777-91, June.
- Feldstein, Martin S & Taylor, Amy, 1976. "The Income Tax and Charitable Contributions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(6), pages 1201-22, November.
- Boskin, Michael J & Feldstein, Martin S, 1977. "Effects of the Charitable Deduction on Contributions by Low Income and Middle Income Households: Evidence from the National Survey of Philanthropy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(3), pages 351-54, August.
- Daniel R. Feenberg, 1982. "Identification in Tax-Price Regression Models: The Case of Charitable Giving," NBER Working Papers 0988, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1592. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.