On Procedural Freedom of Choice
Numerous works in the last decade have analyzed the question of how to compare opportunity sets as a way to measure and evaluate individual freedom of choice. This paper defends that, in many contexts, external procedural aspects that are associated to an opportunity set should be taken into account when making judgements about the freedom of choice an agent enjoys. We propose criteria for comparing procedure-based opportunity sets that are consistent with both the procedural aspect of freedom and most of the standard theories of ranking opportunity sets.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 34 948 169340
Fax: 34 948 169 721
Web page: http://www.econ.unavarra.es
|Order Information:|| Postal: Papers are not sent in a centralized mode. You can download them with ftp, or contact the authors.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bossert Walter & Pattanaik Prasanta K. & Xu Yongsheng, 1994. "Ranking Opportunity Sets: An Axiomatic Approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 326-345, August.
- N. Gravel & J.-F. Laslier & A. Trannoy, 1996.
"Individual freedom of choice in a social setting,"
THEMA Working Papers
96-25, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Sven Hansson, 1996. "Social choice with procedural preferences," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 215-230, April.
- Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu,, .
"On Diversity and Freedom of Choice,"
97/18, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Mill, John Stuart, 1859. "On Liberty," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number mill1859.
- Prasanta Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu, 1998.
"On Preference and Freedom,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 173-198, April.
- Pattanaik, P.K. & Xu, Y., 1995. "On preference and Freedom," The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management 95-1a, The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management. University of California Riverside.
- Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu,, . "On Preference and Freedom," Discussion Papers 96/1, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Bossert, Walter, 2000. "Opportunity sets and uncertain consequences1," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 475-496, May.
- Dirk Van de gaer & Marc Fleurbaey & Walter Bossert, 1999. "Responsibility, talent, and compensation: A second-best analysis," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 35-55.
- Gravel, Nicolas, 1994.
"Ranking Opportunity Sets on the Basis of their Freedom of Choice and their Ability to Satisfy Preferences : A Difficulty,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1994008, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Nicolas Gravel, 1998. "Ranking opportunity sets on the basis of their freedom of choice and their ability to satisfy preferences: A difficulty," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 371-382.
- Prasanta K. PATTANAIK & Yongsheng XU, 1990. "On Ranking Opportunity Sets in Terms of Freedom of Choice," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1990036, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Suzumura, Kotaro & Xu, Yongsheng, 2003.
"Consequences, opportunities, and generalized consequentialism and non-consequentialism,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 293-304, August.
- Suzumura, Kotaro & Xu, Yongsheng, 2000. "Consequences, Opportunities, and Generalized Consequentialism and Non-consequentialism," Discussion Paper 5, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- anonymous, 2000. "A diverse landscape," Annual Report, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Efe A. Ok & Laurence Kranich, 1998. "The measurement of opportunity inequality: a cardinality-based approach," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 263-287.
- Sen, Amartya, 1991. "Welfare, preference and freedom," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 15-29, October.
- Martin van Hees, 1998. "On the Analysis of Negative Freedom," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 175-197, October.
- Herrero, Carmen & Iturbe-Ormaetxe, Inigo & Nieto, Jorge, 1998. "Ranking opportunity profiles on the basis of the common opportunities," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 273-289, May.
- Jones, Peter & Sugden, Robert, 1982. "Evaluating choice," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 47-65, June.
- Puppe, Clemens, 1996. "An Axiomatic Approach to "Preference for Freedom of Choice"," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 174-199, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nav:ecupna:'0401'. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Javier Puértolas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.