Information Structure and the Tragedy of the Commons in Resource Extraction
This paper considers the well-known Levhari-Mirman model of resource extraction, and investigates the effects of the information structure of the dynamic game - open-loop, Markovian or history-dependent - on the equilibrium consumption path and the overall utility of the agents. The open-loop regime yields a Pareto-optimal outcome. The Markovian regime leads to the most pronounced version of the tragedy of the commons. History-dependent behavior yields an outcome set that is intermediate between the other two cases.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salant, Stephen W, 1976. "Exhaustible Resources and Industrial Structure: A Nash-Cournot Approach to the World Oil Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1079-93, October.
- David Levhari & Leonard J. Mirman, 1980. "The Great Fish War: An Example Using a Dynamic Cournot-Nash Solution," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 322-334, Spring.
- Tracy R. Lewis & Richard Schmalensee, 1980.
"On Oligopolistic Markets for Nonrenewable Natural Resources,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 95(3), pages 475-491.
- Lewis, Tracy R. & Schmalensee, Richard., 1979. "On oligopolistic markets for nonrenewable natural resources," Working papers 1052-79., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Easley, David & Spulber, Daniel F, 1981.
"Stochastic Equilibrium and Optimality with Rolling Plans,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 79-103, February.
- Daniel F. Spulber & David Easley, 1979. "Stochastic Equilibrium and Optimality with Rolling Plans," Discussion Papers 354, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C, 1982. "On Capturing Oil Rents with a National Excise Tax," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 194-201, March.
- Amir, Rabah, 1996.
"Continuous Stochastic Games of Capital Accumulation with Convex Transitions,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 111-131, August.
- AMIR , Rabah, 1995. "Continuous Stochastic Games of Capital Accumulation with Convex Transition," CORE Discussion Papers 1995009, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Amir, R., . "Continuous stochastic games of capital accumulation with convex transitions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1227, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Manjira Datta & Leonard J. Mirman, .
"Externalities, Market Power, and Resource Extraction,"
97/12, Arizona State University, Department of Economics.
- Datta, Manjira & Mirman, Leonard J., 1999. "Externalities, Market Power, and Resource Extraction," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 233-255, May.
- Manjira Datta & Leonard Mirman, . "Externalities, Market Power, and Resource Extraction," Working Papers 2132842, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954. "The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 124.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743.
- Perry, Martin K, 1984. "Scale Economies, Imperfect Competition, and Public Policy," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 313-33, March.
- Jonathan Cave, 1987. "Long-Term Competition in a Dynamic Game: The Cold Fish War," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(4), pages 596-610, Winter.
- Chiarella, Carl, et al, 1984. "On the Economics of International Fisheries," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 85-92, February.
- Fischer, Ronald D. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1996. "The Compleat Fish Wars: Biological and Dynamic Interactions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 34-42, January.
- Dockner, Engelbert J. & Kaitala, Veijo, 1989. "On efficient equilibrium solutions in dynamic games of resource management," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 23-34, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:0009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.