How Swiss Small- and Medium-sized Firms Assess the Performance Impact of Mergers and Acquisitions
While previous studies on mergers and acquisitions (M\&As) mostly relied on large firms, our study is based on a sample that includes all Swiss M\&As that took place in the period 2006-2008, mostly of which have been SMEs. We investigate the firm characteristics that determine the innovation and economic performance of M\&A. The performance measures are based on firms' assessments. These measures are regressed on a series of possible determining factors as postulated in existing theoretical and empirical literature. M\&A performance is primarily affected by specific M\&A characteristics, but not by general market characteristics such as demand development or competition conditions. Rather astonishingly, it is also not affected by firm characteristics such as capital intensity, human capital endowment and firm size. There is an interesting exception: innovation activities. This means that with the remarkable exception of innovation activities the level of M\&A performance is determined primarily by factors of the M\&A process itself.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Leonhardstrasse 21, CH-8092 Zürich|
Phone: +41 44 632 42 39
Fax: +41 44 632 12 18
Web page: http://www.kof.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven N. Kaplan, 2000. "Mergers and Productivity," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kapl00-1, 01.
- Jan-Peer Laabs & Dirk Schiereck, 2010. "The long-term success of M&A in the automotive supply industry: determinants of capital market performance," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 34(1), pages 61-88, January.
- Divesh S. Sharma & Jonathan Ho, 2002. "The Impact of Acquisitions on Operating Performance: Some Australian Evidence," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1&2), pages 155-200.
- Steven N. Kaplan, 2000. "Introduction to "Mergers and Productivity"," NBER Chapters,in: Mergers and Productivity, pages 1-8 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gugler, Klaus & Mueller, Dennis C. & Weichselbaumer, Michael, 2012.
"The determinants of merger waves: An international perspective,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-15.
- Gugler, Klaus & Mueller, Dennis C. & Weichselbaumer, Michael, 2008. "The Determinants of Merger Waves: An International Perspective," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-076, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Utz Weitzel & Killian J. McCarthy, 2011. "Theory and evidence on mergers and acquisitions by small and medium enterprises," International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 14(2/3), pages 248-275.
- U. Weitzel & K. Mccarthy, 2009. "Theory and Evidence on Mergers and Acquisitions by Small and Medium Enterprises," Working Papers 09-21, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Cloodt, Myriam & Hagedoorn, John & Van Kranenburg, Hans, 2006. "Mergers and acquisitions: Their effect on the innovative performance of companies in high-tech industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 642-654, June.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-329, May.
- Martynova, Marina & Renneboog, Luc, 2008. "A century of corporate takeovers: What have we learned and where do we stand?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2148-2177, October.
- Agrawal, Anup & Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Mandelker, Gershon N, 1992. " The Post-merger Performance of Acquiring Firms: A Re-examination of an Anomaly," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1605-1621, September.
- Dutta, Shantanu & Jog, Vijay, 2009. "The long-term performance of acquiring firms: A re-examination of an anomaly," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1400-1412, August.
- Bertrand, Olivier, 2009. "Effects of foreign acquisitions on R&D activity: Evidence from firm-level data for France," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1021-1031, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kof:wpskof:12-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.