Using Personal Car Register for Measuring Economic Inequality in Countries with a Large Share of Shadow Economy: Evidence for Latvia
We suggest to use information from the state register of personal cars as an alternative indicator of economic inequality in countries with a large share of shadow economy. We illustrate our approach using the Latvian pool of personal cars. Our main finding is that the extent of household economic inequality in Latvia is much larger than officially assumed. The latest officially available estimate of the Gini coefficient is 0.36 for 2005, which is much lower than 0.55 for 2009 reported in our paper.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 44 632 42 39
Fax: +41 44 632 12 18
Web page: http://www.kof.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kholodilin, Konstantin A. & Siliverstovs, Boriss, 2012.
"Measuring regional inequality by internet car price advertisements: Evidence for Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 414-417.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Konstantin Kholodilin, 2012. "Measuring Regional Inequality by Internet Car Price Advertisements: Evidence for Germany," ERSA conference papers ersa12p911, European Regional Science Association.
- Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2010. "Measuring Regional Inequality by Internet Car Price Advertisements: Evidence for Germany," KOF Working papers 10-261, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2010. "Measuring Regional Inequality by Internet Car Price Advertisements: Evidence for Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1036, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Friedrich Schneider & Andreas Buehn & Claudio E. Montenegro, 2011.
"Shadow Economies All Over the World: New Estimates for 162 Countries from 1999 to 2007,"
in: Handbook on the Shadow Economy, chapter 1
- Friedrich Schneider & Andreas Buehn & Claudio E. Montenegro, 2010. "Shadow Economies All over the World: New Estimates for 162 Countries from 1999 to 2007," Working Papers wp322, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Schneider, Friedrich & Buehn, Andreas & Montenegro, Claudio E., 2010. "Shadow economies all over the world : new estimates for 162 countries from 1999 to 2007," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5356, The World Bank.
- Thorbecke, Erik & Charumilind, Chutatong, 2002. "Economic Inequality and Its Socioeconomic Impact," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1477-1495, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kof:wpskof:11-287. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.