Public Research in Regional Networks of Innovators: A Comparative Study of Four East-German Regions
Universities and public research organizations are said to be an integrative and essential element of a functioning innovation system as they play a vital role not only in the generation of new technological knowledge, but also in its diffusion. We analyse four East German local networks of innovators which differ in structure and innovative performance and investigate the characteristic role of public research within these local systems by applying methods of social network analysis. Our results show that universities and non-university institutions of public research are key actors in all regional networks of innovators both in terms of patent output and in terms of centrality of their position in the networks. Further we find the 'thicker' networks to have more central public research organizations. Higher centrality of public research compared to private actors may be due to the fact that universities are explicitly designed to give away their knowledge and that they increasingly face the need to raise external funds.
|Date of creation:||24 May 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carl-Zeiss-Strasse 3, 07743 JENA|
Phone: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Fax: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-jena.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: If a paper is not downloadable, please contact the author(s) or the library of University of Jena, not the archive maintainer.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susanne Büchner & Andreas Freytag & Luis G. Gonzalez & Werner Güth, 2006.
"Bribery and Public Procurement - An Experimental Study,"
Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft
06/2006, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Susanne Büchner & Andreas Freytag & Luis González & Werner Güth, 2008. "Bribery and public procurement: an experimental study," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 137(1), pages 103-117, October.
- Susanne Büchner & Andreas Freytag & Luis G. Gonzalez & Werner Güth, 2006. "Bribery and Public Procurement - An Experimental Study -," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2005-30, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Uwe Cantner & Jens Kruger & Kristina von Rhein, 2011.
"Knowledge compensation in the German automobile industry,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(22), pages 2941-2951.
- Uwe Cantner & Kristina Dreßler & Jens J. Krüger, 2005. "Knowledge Compensation in the German Automobile Industry," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 11/2005, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Sebastian von Engelhardt, 2006. "Die ökonomischen Eigenschaften von Software," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 14/2006, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jen:jenasw:2006-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.