Endogenous Choice of Trade Instrument Under Uncertainty
This paper endogenizes the choice between import tariffs and quotas of two policy active countries in a duopsonistic world market. Without uncertainty, import quotas are welfare superior to import tariffs in equilibrium. If two importers can precommit to a type of instrument before deciding the level of the instrument to use in a future period, an import quota equilibrium emerges. We introduce asymmetric risk in the import demand schedule of the two importers. There exists a range of parameters in which a mixed equilibrium emerges; i.e. one country uses a tariff while the other restricts trade with an import quota. The likelihood that both importers choose a different trade instrument in equilibrium is increasing with the correlation coefficient of the two random shocks.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in International Economic Journal 2002, vol. 16 no. 4|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gervais, Jean-Philippe & Lapan, Harvey E., 2001.
"Optimal Production Tax and Quota Under Time Consistent Trade Policies,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5049, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Philippe Gervais & Harvey E. Lapan, 2001. "Optimal Production Tax and Quota under Time Consistent Trade Policies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 921-933.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Tariffs vs . Quotas as Revenue Raising Devices under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 975-81, December.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C, 1982. "On Capturing Oil Rents with a National Excise Tax," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 194-201, March.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- Falvey, Rodney E & Lloyd, P J, 1991. "Uncertainty and the Choice of Protective Instrument," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(3), pages 463-78, July.
- Karp, Larry & Newbery, David M., 1991. "Optimal tariffs on exhaustible resources," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3-4), pages 285-299, May.
- Leslie Young & James E. Anderson, 1982. "Risk Aversion and Optimal Trade Restrictions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 291-305.
- Copeland, Brian R & Tower, Edward & Webb, Michael A, 1989. "On Negotiated Quotas, Tariffs, and Transfers," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(4), pages 774-88, October.
- Fishelson, Gideon & Flatters, Frank, 1975. "The (non)equivalence of optimal tariffs and quotas under uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 385-393, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:5135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.