Social Capital and Contributions in a Public Goods Experiment
Recent empirical studies from across the social and behavioral sciences find that social capital is associated with various measures of well-being, including economic growth (Stephen Knack and Phillip Keefer 1997) and mortality (Ichiro Kawachi, Bruce P. Kennedy and Kimberly Lochner 1997). These findings have inspired subsequent studies by economists examining the determinants of individual level measures of social capital (e.g., Alberto Alesina and Elianna La Ferrara 2002). However, experimental evidence from trust games conducted by Edward L. Glaeser, David I. Laibson, Jose A. Scheinkman and Christine L. Soutter (2001) calls into question the efficacy of the most prevalent measures of social capital employed in the literature. In contrast, we show that these same measures are significantly associated with contributions in a public goods experiment and perform as well as the alternative measures of social trust suggested by Glaeser, et al. Because social capital is thought to influence wellbeing through its effect on public good provision, our results bolster previous empirical work on the causes and consequences of social capital.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1155 East 60th Street, Chicago, IL 60637|
Web page: http://harrisschool.uchicago.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Amrita Daniere & Jeff Carpenter & Lois Takahashi, 2004.
"Cooperation, trust, and social capital in southeast asian urban slums,"
Artefactual Field Experiments
00035, The Field Experiments Website.
- Carpenter, Jeffrey P. & Daniere, Amrita G. & Takahashi, Lois M., 2004. "Cooperation, trust, and social capital in Southeast Asian urban slums," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 533-551, December.
- Jeffrey Carpenter & Amrita Daniere & Lois Takahashi, 2003. "Cooperation, Trust, and Social Capital in Southeast Asian Urban Slums," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0309, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Lisa R. Anderson & Jennifer M. Mellor & Jeffrey Milyo, 2003.
"Inequality, Group Cohesion, and Public Good Provision: An Experimental Analysis,"
0308, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Jeffrey Milyo & Jennifer M. Mellor & Lisa Anderson, 2004. "Inequality, Group Cohesion, and Public Good Provision: An Experimental Analysis," Working Papers 0418, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 27 Dec 2004.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Laibson, David I. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Soutter, Christine L., 2000.
4481497, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:har:wpaper:0317. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleanor Cartelli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.