Liquidity and Asset Returns under Asymmetric Information and Imperfect Competition
We analyze how asymmetric information and imperfect competition a®ect liquidity and asset prices. Our model has three periods: agents are identical in the ¯rst, become heterogeneous and trade in the second, and consume asset payo®s in the third. We show that asymmetric information in the second period raises ex ante expected asset returns in the first, comparing both to the case where all private signals are made public and to that where private signals are not observed. Imperfect competition can instead lower expected returns. Each imperfection can move common measures of illiquidity in opposite directions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dow, James & Rahi, Rohit, 2000.
"Should Speculators Be Taxed?,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(1), pages 89-107, January.
- Dow, J. & Rahi, R., 1997. "Should Speculators be Taxed?," Economics Working Papers eco97/21, European University Institute.
- Rohit Rahi & James Dow, 1998. "Should Speculators be Taxed?," FMG Discussion Papers dp291, Financial Markets Group.
- Rohit Rahi, 1996. "Adverse Selection and Security Design," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(2), pages 287-300.
- Rohit Rahi, 1993. "Adverse selection and security design," Economics Working Papers 64, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Feb 1994.
- José M. Marín & Rohit Rahi, 2000. "Information Revelation and Market Incompleteness," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(3), pages 563-579.
- Jose Marin & Rohit Rahi, 1996. "Information Revelation and Market Incompleteness," Archive Working Papers 024, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- José M. Marín & Rohit Rahi, 1996. "Information revelation and market incompleteness," Economics Working Papers 145, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Long Chen & David A. Lesmond & Jason Wei, 2007. "Corporate Yield Spreads and Bond Liquidity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 119-149, 02.
- Amy K. Edwards & Lawrence E. Harris & Michael S. Piwowar, 2007. "Corporate Bond Market Transaction Costs and Transparency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(3), pages 1421-1451, 06. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)