Can a matching model explain the long-run increase in Canada's unemployment rate?
We construct a simple general equilibrium model of unemployment and calibrate it to the Canadian economy. Job creation and destruction are endogenous. In this model, we consider several potential factors which could contribute to the long-run increase in the Canadian unemployment rate: a more generous unemployment insurance system, higher layoff costs, higher distortionary taxes, and a slower rate of productivity growth. We find that in the model economy the impact of all of these factors on the unemployment rate is small.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.richmondfed.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.richmondfed.org/publications/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Razin, Assaf & Tesar, Linda L., 1994.
"Effective tax rates in macroeconomics: Cross-country estimates of tax rates on factor incomes and consumption,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 297-323, December.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Assaf Razin & Linda L. Tesar, 1994. "Effective Tax Rates in Macroeconomics: Cross-Country Estimates of Tax Rates on Factor Incomes and Consumption," NBER Working Papers 4864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726, August.
- Christofides, L.N. & McKenna, C.J., 1993.
"Employment Flows and Job Tenure in Canada,"
1993-1, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Merz, Monika, 1995. "Search in the labor market and the real business cycle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 269-300, November.
- Green, David A & Riddell, W Craig, 1997. "Qualifying for Unemployment Insurance: An Empirical Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 67-84, January.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Andelfatto, D. & Gomme, P., 1995.
"Unemployment Insurance, Labor Market Dynamics, and Social Welfare,"
9502, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics.
- Andolfatto, D. & Gomme, P., 1995. "Unemployment Insurance, Labor Market Dynamics and Social Welfare," Discussion Papers dp95-09, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Jones, Stephen R G & Kuhn, Peter, 1995. "Mandatory Notice and Unemployment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 599-622, October.
- Beach, Charles M & Balfour, Frederick S, 1983. "Estimated Payroll Tax Incidence and Aggregate Demand for Labour in the United Kingdom," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 35-48, February.
- Ron Parker, 1995. "Aspects of economic restructuring in Canada, 1989-1994," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 1995(Summer), pages 23-34.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Ham, John C & Rea, Samuel A, Jr, 1987.
"Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(3), pages 325-53, July.
- John C. Ham & Samuel Rea, 1986. "Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada," Working Papers 592, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Gary Hansen, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor and the Business Cycle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
233, David K. Levine.
- David A. Green & Timothy Sargent, 1998. "Unemployment Insurance and Job Durations: Seasonal and Non-Seasonal Jobs," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(2), pages 247-278, May.
- Peter Kuhn, 1993. "Employment Protection Laws: Policy Issues and Recent Research," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 19(3), pages 279-297, September.
- Andolfatto, David, 1996. "Business Cycles and Labor-Market Search," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 112-32, March.
- Stephen R. G. Jones, 1993. "Cyclical and Seasonal Properties of Canadian Gross Flows of Labour," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 19(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- van Ours, Jan & Ridder, Geert, 1992. "Vacancies and the Recruitment of New Employees," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(2), pages 138-55, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedrwp:98-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William Perkins)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.