The problem of variable selection for financial distress: applying GRASP methaeuristics
We use the GRASP procedure to select a subset of financial ratios that are then used to estimate a model of logistic regression to anticipate financial distress on a sample of Spanish firms. The algorithm we suggest is designed "ad-hoc" for this type of variables. Reducing dimensionality has several advantages such as reducing the cost of data acquisition, better understanding of the final classification model, and increasing the efficiency and the efficacy. The application of the GRASP procedure to preselect a reduced subset of financial ratios generated better results than those obtained directly by applying a model of logistic regression to the set of the 141 original financial ratios.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: +34 91 568 96 00|
Phone: +34 91 568 96 00
Web page: http://www.ie.edu/esp/claustro/claustro_areas_detalle.asp?id=5
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evi Neophytou & Cecilio Mar Molinero, 2004. "Predicting Corporate Failure in the UK: A Multidimensional Scaling Approach," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5-6), pages 677-710.
- Varetto, Franco, 1998. "Genetic algorithms applications in the analysis of insolvency risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1421-1439, October.
- repec:bla:joares:v:18:y:1980:i:1:p:109-131 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:bla:joares:v:22:y:1984:i::p:59-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Sierra, Jaime, 2003.
"Bankruptcy risk and productive efficiency in manufacturing firms,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 2099-2120, November.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Jaime Humberto Sierra Gonzalez 2, 2003. "Bankruptcy Risk and Productive Efficiency in Manufacturing Firms," CEIS Research Paper 30, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- repec:bla:joares:v:4:y:1966:i::p:71-111 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emp:wpaper:wp04-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amada Marcos)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.