Normes et jugements de valeur en économie normative
This essay discusses the status of normative economics by identifying several conceptions that economists have entertained in this respect. It connects these conceptions with two main philosophical strands, i.e., positivism in its many variants and Weber's philosophy of values. The paper argues that economists cannot avoid making value judgments of their own about social welfare, distributive justice, and collective rationality. This conclusion runs counter to the Weberian claim of value-neutrality that today's normative economists often implicitly endorse.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mongin, Philippe, 2006.
"A Concept Of Progress For Normative Economics,"
Economics and Philosophy,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 19-54, March.
- Drèze, J. H., .
"Forty years of public economics: a personal perspective,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1154, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jacques H. Dreze, 1995. "Forty Years of Public Economics: A Personal Perspective," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 111-130, Spring.
- DREZE , Jacques H., 1994. "Forty Years of Public Economics : A Personal Perspective," CORE Discussion Papers 1994075, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marc Fleurbaey & Philippe Mongin, 2005.
"The news of the death of welfare economics is greatly exaggerated,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 381-418, December.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Philippe Mongin, 2004. "The News of the Death of Welfare Economics is Greatly Exaggerated," Working Papers hal-00242931, HAL.
- Screpanti, Ernesto & Zamagni, Stefano, 1995.
"An Outline of the History of Economic Thought,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198774556, March.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 1995. "Equal Opportunity or Equal Social Outcome?," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 25-55, April.
- MONGIN, Philippe & d'ASPREMONT, Claude, .
"Utility theory and ethics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1423, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mongin, P & d'Aspremont, C, 1996. "Utility Theory and Ethics," Papers 9632, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- MONGIN, Philippe & d ASPREMONT, Claude, 1996. "Utility theory and ethics," CORE Discussion Papers 1996063, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- P. Mongin & C. d'Aspremont, 1996. "Utility theory and ethics," THEMA Working Papers 96-32, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Philippe Mongin, 2006.
"Value Judgments and Value Neutrality in Economics,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 73(290), pages 257-286, 05.
- Gaertner, Wulf & Pattanaik, Prasanta K & Suzumura, Kotaro, 1992.
"Individual Rights Revisited,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 59(234), pages 161-77, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ema:worpap:99-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marion Oury)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Marion Oury to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.