Designing Contingent Valuation Scenarios for Environmental Health: The Case of Childhood Asthma
Valuation of morbidity associated with childhood asthma is signiâ€¦cant both to policy and to non-market valuation methodologies. Our results show that household perceptions and beliefs, such as belief in oneâ€™s ability to predict and control asthma attacks, and relative perceptions of the overall burden asthma places on a family, have a larger impact on valuation than traditional measures of asthma severity. More generally, our approach can be applied to other chronic illnesses as well, such as diabetes or chronic pain.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Victoria 471, Conceptión|
Web page: http://www.econudec.cl
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengt Kristr�m, 1997. "Spike Models in Contingent Valuation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 1013-1023.
- Alberini, Anna & Cropper, Maureen & Fu, Tsu-Tan & Krupnick, Alan & Liu, Jin-Tan & Shaw, Daigee & Harrington, Winston, 1997. "Valuing Health Effects of Air Pollution in Developing Countries: The Case of Taiwan," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 107-126, October.
- Krupnick, Alan & Cropper, Maureen & Alberini, Anna & Heintzelman, Martin & Simon, Nathalie & O'Brien, Bernie & Goeree, Ron, 2000.
"Age, Health, and the Willingness to Pay for Mortality Risk Reductions: A Contingent Valuation Survey of Ontario Residents,"
dp-00-37, Resources For the Future.
- Krupnick, Alan, et al, 2002. "Age, Health and the Willingness to Pay for Mortality Risk Reductions: A Contingent Valuation Survey of Ontario Residents," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 161-86, March.
- Richard D. Smith, 2003. "Construction of the contingent valuation market in health care:a critical assessment," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(8), pages 609-628.
- Groot, Wim, 2000. "Adaptation and scale of reference bias in self-assessments of quality of life," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 403-420, May.
- Dickie, Mark & Gerking, Shelby, 2007. "Altruism and environmental risks to health of parents and their children," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 323-341, May.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Hanemann, W.M. & Signorello, Giovanni, 2002.
"One and One-Half Bound Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation,"
17190, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2002.
- Joseph C. Cooper & Michael Hanemann & Giovanni Signorello, 2002. "One-and-One-Half-Bound Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 742-750, November.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Hanemann, W. Michael & Signorello, Giovanni, 2001. "One-and-one-half-bound dichotomous choice contingent valuation," CUDARE Working Paper Series 921, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Hanemann, W. Michael & Signorello, Giovanni, 2001. "One-and-One-Half Bound Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt09c663b2, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Dickie, Mark & Gerking, Shelby, 1991. "Willingness to Pay for ozone control: Inferences from the demand for medical care," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-16, July.
- Ian Bateman & Roy Brouwer & Stavros Georgiou & Nick Hanley & Fernando Machado & Susana Mourato & Caroline Saunders, 2005. "A ‘Natural Experiment’ Approach to Contingent Valuation of Private and Public UV Health Risk Reduction Strategies in Low and High Risk Countries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(1), pages 47-72, 05.
- Julie Ratcliffe & John Brazier & Simon Palfreyman & Jonathan Michaels, 2007. "A comparison of patient and population values for health states in varicose veins patients," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 395-405.
- Lauraine G. Chestnut & Mark A. Thayer & Jeffrey K. Lazo & Stephen K. Eeden, 2006. "The Economic Value Of Preventing Respiratory And Cardiovascular Hospitalizations," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(1), pages 127-143, 01.
- F. Reed Johnson & Melissa Ruby Banzhaf & William H. Desvousges, 2000. "Willingness to pay for improved respiratory and cardiovascular health: a multiple-format, stated-preference approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 295-317.
- W. Michael Hanemann, 1994. "Valuing the Environment through Contingent Valuation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 19-43, Fall.
- Bernard van den Berg & Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell, 2007. "Monetary valuation of informal care: the well-being valuation method," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(11), pages 1227-1244.
- Richard Carson & Nicholas Flores & Norman Meade, 2001.
"Contingent Valuation: Controversies and Evidence,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 19(2), pages 173-210, June.
- Carson, Richard T & Flores, Nicholas A, 2000. "Contingent Valuation: Controversies and Evidence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt75k752s7, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Mansfield, Carol & Reed Johnson, F. & Van Houtven, George, 2006. "The missing piece: Valuing averting behavior for children's ozone exposures," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 215-228, August.
- Robert Mitchell, 2002. "On Designing Constructed Markets in Valuation Surveys," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 297-321, June.
- Nick Hanley & Mandy Ryan & Robert Wright, 2003. "Estimating the monetary value of health care: lessons from environmental economics," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 3-16.
- A Diener & B O'Brien & A Gafni, 1997.
"Health Care Contingent Valuation Studies: A review and classification of the literature,"
Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis Working Paper Series
1997-07, Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis (CHEPA), McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada.
- Alan Diener & Bernie O'Brien & Amiram Gafni, 1998. "Health care contingent valuation studies: a review and classification of the literature," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(4), pages 313-326.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cnc:wpaper:11-2008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ronald Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.