Designing Contingent Valuation Scenarios for Environmental Health: The Case of Childhood Asthma
Valuation of morbidity associated with childhood asthma is signiâ€¦cant both to policy and to non-market valuation methodologies. Our results show that household perceptions and beliefs, such as belief in oneâ€™s ability to predict and control asthma attacks, and relative perceptions of the overall burden asthma places on a family, have a larger impact on valuation than traditional measures of asthma severity. More generally, our approach can be applied to other chronic illnesses as well, such as diabetes or chronic pain.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econudec.cl
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julie Ratcliffe & John Brazier & Simon Palfreyman & Jonathan Michaels, 2007. "A comparison of patient and population values for health states in varicose veins patients," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 395-405.
- Dickie, Mark & Gerking, Shelby, 2007. "Altruism and environmental risks to health of parents and their children," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 323-341, May.
- Bernard van den Berg & Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell, 2007. "Monetary valuation of informal care: the well-being valuation method," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(11), pages 1227-1244.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Hanemann, W. Michael & Signorello, Giovanni, 2001.
"One-and-one-half-bound dichotomous choice contingent valuation,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
921, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Joseph C. Cooper & Michael Hanemann & Giovanni Signorello, 2002. "One-and-One-Half-Bound Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 742-750, November.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Hanemann, W. Michael & Signorello, Giovanni, 2001. "One-and-One-Half Bound Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt09c663b2, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Hanemann, W.M. & Signorello, Giovanni, 2002. "One and One-Half Bound Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," MPRA Paper 17190, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2002.
- Alan Diener & Bernie O'Brien & Amiram Gafni, 1998.
"Health care contingent valuation studies: a review and classification of the literature,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(4), pages 313-326.
- A Diener & B O'Brien & A Gafni, 1997. "Health Care Contingent Valuation Studies: A review and classification of the literature," Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis Working Paper Series 1997-07, Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis (CHEPA), McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada.
- W. Michael Hanemann, 1994. "Valuing the Environment through Contingent Valuation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 19-43, Fall.
- Groot, Wim, 2000. "Adaptation and scale of reference bias in self-assessments of quality of life," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 403-420, May.
- Krupnick, Alan, et al, 2002.
" Age, Health and the Willingness to Pay for Mortality Risk Reductions: A Contingent Valuation Survey of Ontario Residents,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 161-86, March.
- Krupnick, Alan & Cropper, Maureen & Alberini, Anna & Heintzelman, Martin & Simon, Nathalie & O'Brien, Bernie & Goeree, Ron, 2000. "Age, Health, and the Willingness to Pay for Mortality Risk Reductions: A Contingent Valuation Survey of Ontario Residents," Discussion Papers dp-00-37, Resources For the Future.
- Nick Hanley & Mandy Ryan & Robert Wright, 2003. "Estimating the monetary value of health care: lessons from environmental economics," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 3-16.
- Richard D. Smith, 2003. "Construction of the contingent valuation market in health care:a critical assessment," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(8), pages 609-628.
- Carson, Richard T & Flores, Nicholas A, 2000.
"Contingent Valuation: Controversies and Evidence,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt75k752s7, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Bengt Kristr�m, 1997. "Spike Models in Contingent Valuation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 1013-1023.
- F. Reed Johnson & Melissa Ruby Banzhaf & William H. Desvousges, 2000. "Willingness to pay for improved respiratory and cardiovascular health: a multiple-format, stated-preference approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 295-317.
- Dickie, Mark & Gerking, Shelby, 1991. "Willingness to Pay for ozone control: Inferences from the demand for medical care," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-16, July.
- Mansfield, Carol & Reed Johnson, F. & Van Houtven, George, 2006. "The missing piece: Valuing averting behavior for children's ozone exposures," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 215-228, August.
- Ian Bateman & Roy Brouwer & Stavros Georgiou & Nick Hanley & Fernando Machado & Susana Mourato & Caroline Saunders, 2005. "A ‘Natural Experiment’ Approach to Contingent Valuation of Private and Public UV Health Risk Reduction Strategies in Low and High Risk Countries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(1), pages 47-72, 05.
- Alberini, Anna & Cropper, Maureen & Fu, Tsu-Tan & Krupnick, Alan & Liu, Jin-Tan & Shaw, Daigee & Harrington, Winston, 1997. "Valuing Health Effects of Air Pollution in Developing Countries: The Case of Taiwan," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 107-126, October.
- Robert Mitchell, 2002. "On Designing Constructed Markets in Valuation Surveys," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 297-321, June.
- Lauraine G. Chestnut & Mark A. Thayer & Jeffrey K. Lazo & Stephen K. Eeden, 2006. "The Economic Value Of Preventing Respiratory And Cardiovascular Hospitalizations," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(1), pages 127-143, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cnc:wpaper:11-2008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ronald Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.