Before the Accord: US Monetary-Financial Policy 1945-51
Thia paper analyzes U.S. monetary-financial policy in the period leading up to the Treasury-Fed Accord. We model policy as an implicit target zone for the price level and an explicit zone for interest rates, and the difficulties on the eve of the Accord as an incipient run on a collapsing target-zone regime. The regime was implemented to maintain the stability of the financial system in a period when there was a serious maturity mismatch between the assets and liabilities of the banking system.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (510) 642-1922
Fax: (510) 642-5018
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/iber_econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, M. & Weller, P., 1988.
"Solving Stochastic Saddlepoint Systems: A Qualitative Treatment With Economic Applications,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
309, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Miller, Marcus & Weller, Paul, 1989. "Solving Stochastic Saddlepoint Systems: A Qualitative Treatment with Economic Applications," CEPR Discussion Papers 308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1990.
"Target Zones and Interest Rate Variability,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
372, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1989. "Target Zones And Interest Rate Variability," Papers 457, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1990. "Target Zones and Interest Rate Variability," IMF Working Papers 90/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1989. "Target Zones and Interest Rate Variability," NBER Working Papers 3218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert P & Garber, Peter M, 1991.
"The Linkage between Speculative Attack and Target Zone Models of Exchange Rates,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1367-72, November.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter M. Garber, 1989. "The Linkage Between Speculative Attack and Target Zone Models of Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 2918, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1991.
"Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(3), pages 669-82, August.
- Paul Krugman & Julio Rotemberg, 1990. "Target Zones with Limited Reserves," NBER Working Papers 3418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1987. "Trigger Strategies and Price Dynamics in Equity and Foreign Exchange Markets," NBER Working Papers 2459, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Toma, Mark, 1982. "Inflationary bias of the Federal Reserve System : A bureaucratic perspective," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 163-190.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Caballero, Ricardo J, 1992.
"Target Zones and Realignments,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 520-36, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:econwp:qt9x3540q8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.