A Simple Characterization of Dynamic Completeness in Continuous Time
I establish a necessary and sufficient condition for the securities' market to be dynamically-complete in a single-commodity, pure-exchange economy with many Lucas' trees whose dividends are geometric Brownian motions. Even though my analysis is based upon the representative-agent version of this economy, the condition depends neither on the utility function of the representative agent, nor on the functional form of her endowment. As a consequence, it characterizes dynamic completeness in this economy even in the presence of many heterogenous agents.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Real Collegio, 30, 10024 Moncalieri (To)|
Web page: http://www.carloalberto.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 363-384, March.
- Postali, Fernando A.S. & Picchetti, Paulo, 2006. "Geometric Brownian Motion and structural breaks in oil prices: A quantitative analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 506-522, July.
- Farhi, Emmanuel & Panageas, Stavros, 2007. "Saving and investing for early retirement: A theoretical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 87-121, January.
- Fleten, Stein-Erik & Maribu, Karl Magnus & Wangensteen, Ivar, 2005.
"Optimal investment strategies in decentralized renewable power generation under uncertainty,"
218, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2006.
- Fleten, S.-E. & Maribu, K.M. & Wangensteen, I., 2007. "Optimal investment strategies in decentralized renewable power generation under uncertainty," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 803-815.
- Riedel, Frank, 2001. "Existence of Arrow-Radner Equilibrium with Endogenously Complete Markets under Incomplete Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 109-122, March.
- Cadenillas, Abel & Zapatero, Fernando, 1999. "Optimal Central Bank Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 218-242, July.
- (*), Thaleia Zariphopoulou & George M. Constantinides, 1999.
"Bounds on prices of contingent claims in an intertemporal economy with proportional transaction costs and general preferences,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 345-369.
- George M. Constantinides & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, "undated". "Bounds on Prices of Contingent Claims in an Intertemporal Economy with Proportional Transaction Costs and General Preferences," CRSP working papers 347, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Olivier Renault & Jan Ericsson, 2000.
"Liquidity and Credit Risk,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp362, Financial Markets Group.
- Bick, Avi, 1987. "On the Consistency of the Black-Scholes Model with a General Equilibrium Framework," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(03), pages 259-275, September.
- Duffie, Darrell & Skiadas, Costis, 1994. "Continuous-time security pricing : A utility gradient approach," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 107-131, March.
- Jim Gatheral & Alexander Schied, 2011. "Optimal Trade Execution Under Geometric Brownian Motion In The Almgren And Chriss Framework," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(03), pages 353-368.
- Julien HUGONNIER & Semyon MALAMUD & Eugene TRUBOWITZ, "undated".
"Endogenous completeness of diffusion driven equilibrium markets,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
09-41, Swiss Finance Institute.
- J. Hugonnier & S. Malamud & E. Trubowitz, 2012. "Endogenous Completeness of Diffusion Driven Equilibrium Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(3), pages 1249-1270, 05.
- Janis M. Carey & David Zilberman, 2002. "A Model of Investment under Uncertainty: Modern Irrigation Technology and Emerging Markets in Water," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 171-183.
- Martens, Martin & van Dijk, Dick, 2007.
"Measuring volatility with the realized range,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 181-207, May.
- Ian Martin, 2011.
"The Lucas Orchard,"
NBER Working Papers
17563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Basak, Suleyman & Cuoco, Domenico, 1998. "An Equilibrium Model with Restricted Stock Market Participation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(2), pages 309-341.
- He, Hua & Leland, Hayne, 1993. "On Equilibrium Asset Price Processes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(3), pages 593-617.
- Robert M. Anderson & Roberto C. Raimondo, 2008. "Equilibrium in Continuous-Time Financial Markets: Endogenously Dynamically Complete Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(4), pages 841-907, 07.
- Instefjord, Norvald, 2005. "Risk and hedging: Do credit derivatives increase bank risk?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 333-345, February.
- Epaulard, Anne & Pommeret, Aude, 2003. "Optimally eating a stochastic cake: a recursive utility approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 129-139, May.
- Hugonnier, Julien, 2012. "Rational asset pricing bubbles and portfolio constraints," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(6), pages 2260-2302.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cca:wpaper:211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Bert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.