The Internalisation of External Costs in Transport: From the Polluter Pays to the Cheapest Cost Avoider Principle
The European Commission mandated the consulting firm CE Delft to develop a framework for the internalisation of external costs and to devise a number of potential internalisation scenarios for further analysis. The results of their preliminary research are published in a CE discussion paper, and the Commission is now formulating draft legislative proposals which will be subjected to a consultation of stakeholders.The present report offers a critical assessment of the above mentioned CE study, provides a theoretical examination of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the polluter pays principle and the cheapest cost avoider principle in relation to the problems arising in the road transport sector, demonstrates how the cheapest cost avoider principle can be applied in practice by providing examples of external costs in road transport, and puts forward recommendations for the appropriate principles that should guide the Commission's further activities in this area.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bepress.com/gwp/default/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin L. Weitzman, 2007. "A Review of the Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 45(3), pages 703-724, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521859172 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2007.
"The Welfare State and the Forces of Globalization,"
NBER Working Papers
12946, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "On Taxation and the Control of Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 307-22, June.
- Louis Kaplow, 2002.
"Why Measure Inequality?,"
NBER Working Papers
9342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stavins, Robert & Jaffe, Judson & Schatski, Todd, 2007.
"Too Good to Be True? An Examination of Three Economic Assessments of California Climate Change Policy,"
Working Paper Series
rwp07-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Robert Stavins & Judson Jaffe & Todd Schatzki, 2007. "Too Good to Be True? An Examination of Three Economic Assessments of California Climate Change Policy," NBER Working Papers 13587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schelling Thomas C., 2007. "Climate Change: The Uncertainties, the Certainties and What They Imply About Action," The Economists' Voice, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-5, July.
- Burrows, Paul, 1999. "Combining regulation and legal liability for the control of external costs," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 227-244, June.
- Rose-Ackerman, Susan, 1989. "Dikes, Dams, and Vicious Hogs: Entitlement and Efficiency in Tort Law," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(1), pages 25-50, January.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2007. "A Review of the Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 45(3), pages 686-702, September.
- Miceli, Thomas J., 1997. "Economics of the Law: Torts, Contracts, Property, Litigation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195103908, March.
- Heiner, Ronald A, 1983. "The Origin of Predictable Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 560-95, September.
- Nuno Garoupa, 2009. "Least-Cost Avoidance: The Tragedy of Common Safety," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 235-261, May.
- Enrico, Baffi, 2007. "The Problem of Internalisation of Social Costs and the Ideas of Ronald Coase," MPRA Paper 7277, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bep:dewple:2008-1-1214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.