Housing rent dynamics in Italy
In this paper we focus on tenant rents in Italy and compare results from several methods for the rent dynamic estimation. We first document the sources of data available and then introduce quality-adjusted techniques, which enable us to separate the price variation due to qualitative changes in housing attributes from pure price changes. Finally, we compare these measures with unconditional and matched-type price indices derived from microdata. Over the period 1998-2006, we estimate a cumulative rent increase ranging between 40 and 80%. The upper bound refers to the average dynamic for a subset of flats entering the market in a given period. The hedonic approach suggests a substantially lower overall growth in tenant rent, around 40% for the same period.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ariel Pakes, 2002.
"A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's,"
NBER Working Papers
8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ariel Pakes, 2003. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indexes with an Application to PC's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1578-1596, December.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz, Claudia, 2002.
"Rent indices for housing in West Germany 1985 to 1998,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2002,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz, Claudia, 2002. "Rent indices for housing in West Germany 1985 to 1998," Working Paper Series 0116, European Central Bank.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002.
"Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001),"
Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles,
Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department, pages -.
- Reis, Hugo J. & Santos Silva, J.M.C., 2006. "Hedonic prices indexes for new passenger cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 890-908, December.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Working Papers w200210, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C. Santos Silva, 2003. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997- 2001)," Econometrics 0303003, EconWPA.
- Jack Triplett, 2004. "Handbook on Hedonic Indexes and Quality Adjustments in Price Indexes: Special Application to Information Technology Products," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2004/9, OECD Publishing.
- Salvatore Muzzicato & Roberto Sabbatini & Francesco Zollino, 2008. "Prices of residential property in Italy: constructing a new indicator," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 17, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Theodore M. Crone & Leonard I. Nakamura & Richard Voith, 2004.
"The CPI for rents: a case of understated inflation,"
04-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Theodore M. Crone & Leonard I. Nakamura & Richard Voith, 2006. "The CPI for rents: a case of understated inflation," Working Papers 06-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Robert J. Gordon & Todd vanGoethem, 2005. "A Century of Housing Shelter Prices: Is There a Downward Bias in the CPI?," NBER Working Papers 11776, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_62_10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.