The Economics of Regional Demarcation in Banking
Cooperation among savings and cooperative banks was criticized by the European Commission because of potentially anti-competitive effects. In an industrial economics model of banks taking deposits and giving loans we look at regional demarcation as one of such cooperative practices. There are two adjacent markets with one savings or cooperative bank being focused on each one and one private commercial bank serving both. We find that abolishing regional demarcation indeed increases total loan volume. Savings or cooperative banks always improve market performance and do better without regional demarcation which shields the private commercial bank from aggressive competition by these banks.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 16, D-86159 Augsburg, Germany|
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lehner, Maria & Schnitzer, Monika, 2008.
"Entry of foreign banks and their impact on host countries,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 430-452, September.
- Lehner, Maria & Schnitzer, Monika, 2006. "Entry of Foreign Banks and their Impact on Host Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 5954, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lehner, Maria & Schnitzer, Monika, 2008. "Entry of foreign banks and their impact on host countries," Munich Reprints in Economics 19238, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Maria Lehner & Monika Schnitzer, 2006. "Entry of Foreign Banks and their Impact on Host Countries," Working Papers 002, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Lehner, Maria & Schnitzer, Monika, 2006. "Entry of Foreign Banks and their Impact on Host Countries," Discussion Papers in Economics 1208, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Lehner, Maria & Schnitzer, Monika, 2006. "Entry of Foreign Banks and their Impact on Host Countries," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 152, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- William C. Merrill & Norman Schneider, 1966. "Government Firms in Oligopoly Industries: A Short-Run Analysis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 80(3), pages 400-412.
- Hempell, Hannah S., 2002. "Testing for Competition Among German Banks," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Eva Schliephake & Roland Kirstein, 2013. "Strategic Effects of Regulatory Capital Requirements in Imperfect Banking Competition," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(4), pages 675-700, 06.
- Eva Schliephake & Roland Kirstein, 2010. "Strategic Effects of Regulatory Capital Requirements in Imperfect Banking Competition," FEMM Working Papers 100012, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Germany's Three-Pillar Banking System; Cross-Country Perspectives in Europe," IMF Occasional Papers 233, International Monetary Fund.
- Lakdawalla, Darius & Philipson, Tomas, 2006. "The nonprofit sector and industry performance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1681-1698, September.
- Gehrig, Thomas, 1998. "Screening, cross-border banking, and the allocation of credit," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 387-407, December.
- Gehrig, Thomas, 1998. "Screening, Cross-Border Banking and the Allocation of Credit," CEPR Discussion Papers 1973, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lang, Gunter & Welzel, Peter, 1999. "Mergers among German Cooperative Banks: A Panel-Based Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 273-286, December.
- Günter Lang, Peter Welzel, 1999. "Mergers Among German Cooperative Banks. A Panel-based Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Working Paper Series B 1999-03, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultïät.
- Hannan, Timothy H. & Prager, Robin A., 2004. "The competitive implications of multimarket bank branching," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1889-1914, August.
- Timothy H. Hannan & Robin A. Prager, 2001. "The competitive implications of multimarket bank branching," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-43, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Barros, Fatima & Modesto, Leonor, 1999. "Portuguese banking sector: a mixed oligopoly?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 869-886, August.
- Isabel Schnabel & Hendrik Hakenes, 2007. "Regionale Banken in einer globalisierten Welt," Credit and Capital Markets, Credit and Capital Markets, vol. 40(3), pages 351-380.
- Smith, Donald J, 1984. " A Theoretic Framework for the Analysis of Credit Union Decision Making," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1155-1168, September.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2004. "Information and bank credit allocation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 185-214, April.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aug:augsbe:0308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.