Niches and Economic Competition: Implications for Economic Efficiency, Growth and Diversity
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Tisdell, Clem & Seidl, Irmi, 2004. "Niches and economic competition: implications for economic efficiency, growth and diversity," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 119-135, June.
References listed on IDEAS
- Michael Spence, 1976. "Product Selection, Fixed Costs, and Monopolistic Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(2), pages 217-235.
- R. E. Caves & M. E. Porter, 1977. "From Entry Barriers to Mobility Barriers: Conjectural Decisions and Contrived Deterrence to New Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(2), pages 241-261.
- Lasselle, Laurence & Svizzero, Serge & Tisdell, Clement Allan, 2001.
"Diversity, Globalisation and Market Stability,"
Economia Internazionale / International Economics,
Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato Agricoltura di Genova, vol. 54(3), pages 385-399.
- Lasselle, Laurence & Svizzero, Serge & Tisdell, Clement A., 2001. "Diversity, Globalisation and Market Stability," Economic Theory, Applications and Issues Working Papers 90501, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Laurence Lasselle & Serge Svizzero & Clem Tisdell, 2001. "Diversity, Globalisation and Market Stability," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 200101, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Gallagher, Matthew, 1993. "Niche Overlap and Limiting Similarity: An Ecological Approach to the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 63-77, February.
- B Ilbery & M Kneafsey, 1999. "Niche markets and regional speciality food products in Europe: towards a research agenda," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(12), pages 2207-2222, December.
- Bradburd, Ralph M & Ross, David R, 1989. "Can Small Firms Find and Defend Strategic Niches? A Test of the Porter Hypothesis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 258-262, May.
- Gernot Grabher & David Stark, 1997. "Organizing Diversity: Evolutionary Theory, Network Analysis and Postsocialism," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 533-544.
- Levinthal, Daniel A, 1998. "The Slow Pace of Rapid Technological Change: Gradualism and Punctuation in Technological Change," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 217-247, June.
- Clem Tisdell, 1999. "Diversity And Economic Evolution: Failures Of Competitive Economic Systems," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(2), pages 156-165, April.
- B Ilbery & M Kneafsey, 1999. "Niche Markets and Regional Speciality Food Products in Europe: Towards a Research Agenda," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 31(12), pages 2207-2222, December.
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1977. "Economics from a Biological Viewpoint," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(1), pages 1-52, April.
- Hodgson, Geoffrey M., 1997. "Economics and the return to Mecca: The recognition of novelty and emergence," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 399-412, October.
- Hannon, Bruce, 1997. "The use of analogy in biology and economics: From biology to economics, and back," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 471-488, October.
- Pepall, Lynne, 1992. "Strategic Product Choice and Niche Markets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 397-417, Summer.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- van den Bergh, Jeroen C.J.M., 2008. "Optimal diversity: Increasing returns versus recombinant innovation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(3-4), pages 565-580, December.
- Clem Tisdell, 2004.
"Economic Competition and Evolution: Are There Lessons from Ecology?,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, pages 179-193.
- Tisdell, Clement A., 2003. "Economic Competition and Evolution: Are there Lessons from Ecology?," Economic Theory, Applications and Issues Working Papers 90526, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Papachristos, George, 2017. "Diversity in technology competition: The link between platforms and sociotechnical transitions," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 291-306.
- Tisdell, Clement A., 2001. "Competition, Evolution and Optimisation: Comparisons of Models in Economics and Ecology," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 48384, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- van den Heuvel, Stijn T.A. & van den Bergh, Jeroen C.J.M., 2009. "Multilevel assessment of diversity, innovation and selection in the solar photovoltaic industry," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 50-60, March.
- Tisdell, Clem, 2003.
"Socioeconomic causes of loss of animal genetic diversity: analysis and assessment,"
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 365-376, July.
- Tisdell, Clement A., 2002. "Socioeconomic Causes of Loss of Animal Genetic Diversity: Analysis and Assessment," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 48741, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Faber, Albert & Hoppe, Thomas, 2013. "Co-constructing a sustainable built environment in the Netherlands—Dynamics and opportunities in an environmental sectoral innovation system," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 628-638.
- Bellon, Mauricio R. & Gotor, Elisabetta & Caracciolo, Francesco, 2015. "Assessing the Effectiveness of Projects Supporting On-Farm Conservation of Native Crops: Evidence From the High Andes of South America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 162-176.
- Clevo Wilson & Clem Tisdell, 2005. "Globalisation, Concentration Of Genetic Material And Their Implications For Sustainable Development," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 198, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Tisdell, Clement A. & Alauddin, Mohammad, 2002. "Market-Oriented Reforms in Bangladesh and their Impact on Poverty?," Economic Theory, Applications and Issues Working Papers 90521, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Tisdell, Clement A. & Svizzero, Serge, 2003. "Globalization, Social Welfare and Labor Market Inequalities," Economic Theory, Applications and Issues Working Papers 90525, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Albert Faber & Koen Frenken, 2008. "Models in evolutionary economics and environmental policy: Towards an evolutionary environmental economics," Innovation Studies Utrecht (ISU) working paper series 08-15, Utrecht University, Department of Innovation Studies, revised Apr 2008.
- ., 2013. "Competition, diversity, evolution and sustainability: are there lessons from ecology?," Chapters,in: Competition, Diversity and Economic Performance, chapter 7, pages 132-159 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- ., 2013. "Concepts of economic competition and performance in context," Chapters,in: Competition, Diversity and Economic Performance, chapter 2, pages 20-47 Edward Elgar Publishing.
More about this item
Keywordsdiversity of commodities; entry barriers; globalisation; market competition; niches; International Relations/Trade; F020; L000; O300;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uqseet:90508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/decuqau.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.