The Oxford Handbook of the Economics of Food Consumption and Policy
- Lusk, Jayson L.(Professor and Willard Sparks Endowed Chair, Oklahoma State University)Roosen, Jutta(Professor and Chair for Marketing and Consumer Research, Technische Universitat Munchen)Shogren, Jason(Stroock Professor of Natural Resource Conservation and Management, University of Wyoming)Registered editor(s):
Historically, the challenge for humans has been to secure a sufficient supply of food to stave off hunger and starvation. As a result, much of the research on food and agriculture in the past century has focused on issues related to production efficiency, food supply, and farm profitability. In recent years, however, farmers, agribusiness, policy makers, and academics have increasingly turned their attention away from the farm and toward the food consumer and to issues related to food consumption. This handbook provides an overview of the economics of food consumption and policy and is a useful reference for academics and graduate students interested in food economics and the consumer-end of the supply chain. It is also relevant to those employed in food and agricultural industries, policy makers, and activist groups. The first section covers the application of the core theoretical and methodological approaches of the economics of food consumption and policy. The second part concentrates on policy issues related to food consumption. Several chapters focus on the theoretical and conceptual issues relevant in food markets, such as product bans, labeling, food standards, political economy, and scientific uncertainty. Additional chapters discuss policy issues of particular interest to the consumer-end of the food supply chain, such as food safety, nutrition, food security, and development. The final section serves as an introduction to particular issues and current topics in food consumption and policy. Contributors to this volume - Awudu Abdulai, University of Kiel, Germany W.L. Adamowicz, University of Alberta, Canada Luis Miguel Albisu, Agro-Food Research and Technology Centre of Aragon (CITA), Spain Frode Alfnes, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Norway Sven M. Anders, University of Alberta, Canada Fredrik Carlsson, University of Gothenburg, Sweden Sean B. Cash, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA Julie A. Caswell, University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA Marco Costanigro, Colorado State University, USA Sven-Olov Daunfeldt, Dalarna University, Sweden Andreas C. Drichoutis, University of Ioannina, Greece Fabrice Etile Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France and Paris School of Economics, France Jacinto F. Fabiosa, Iowa State University, USA John A. Fox, Kansas State University, USA Konstantinos Giannakas, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA Azucena Gracia, Agro-Food Research and Technology Centre of Aragon (CITA), Spain Roland Herrmann, Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Germany Sandra A. Hoffmann, Resources for the Future, Washington, DC, USA Wallace E. Huffman, Iowa State University, USA Helen H. Jensen, Iowa State University, USA Olof Johansson-Stenman, University of Gothenburg, Sweden David R. Just, Cornell University, USA Harry M. Kaiser, Cornell University, USA Christian Kuhlgatz, University of Kiel, Germany Panagiotis Lazaridis, Agricultural University of Athens, Greece Mariah L. Loureiro, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain Jayson L. Lusk, Oklahoma State University, USA Stephan Marette, UMR Economie Publique INRA-AgroParisTech, France Thomas L. Marsh, Washington State University, USA William A. Masters, Tufts University, USA Jill J. McCluskey, Washington State University, USA Pierre R. Merel , University of California-Davis, USA Rodolfo M. Nayga, Jr., University of Arkansas, USA Jonas Nordstrom, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, and Lund University, Sweden Nicholas E. Piggott, North Carolina State University, USA Kyrre Rickertsen, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Norway Jutta Roosen, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany Ana Isabel Sanjuan, Agro-Food Research and Technology Centre of Aragon (CITA), Spain Ted C. Schroeder, Kansas State University, USA Richard J. Sexton, University of California-Davis, USA Ian Sheldon, The Ohio State University, USA Jason F. Shogren, Universitiy of Wyoming, USA Hayden Stewart, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, USA Joffre D. Swait, University of Alberta, Canada Johan F.M. Swinnen, University of Leuven, Belgium Mario F. Teisl, Professor, University of Maine, USA Ramona Teuber, Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Germany Linda Thunstrom, The Swedish Retail Institute (HUI), Sweden Glynn T. Tonsor, Kansas State University, USA Thijs Vandemoortele, University of Leuven, Belguim Joachim von Braun, Bonn University, Germany Christoph R. Weiss, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Austria Parke Wilde, Tufts University, USA Michael K. Wohlgenant,North Carolina State University, USA
To our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|This book is provided by Oxford University Press in its series OUP Catalogue with number 9780199569441 and published in 2011.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.oup.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.com/|
- Nan Yang & Jill J. McCluskey & Michael P. Brady, 2012. "The Value of Good Neighbors: A Spatial Analysis of the California and Washington State Wine Industries," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 88(4), pages 674-684.
- Bonroy, O. & Constantatos, C., 2014.
"On the economics of labels : how their introduction affects the functioning of markets and the welfare of all participants,"
2014-03, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Olivier Bonroy & Christos Constantatos, 2015. "On the Economics of Labels: How Their Introduction Affects the Functioning of Markets and the Welfare of All Participants," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 97(1), pages 239-259.
- Vlaeminck, Pieter & Vranken, Liesbet, 2015. "Do labels capture consumers’ actual willingness to pay for Fair Trade characteristics?," Working Papers 206438, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Muller, L. & Prevost, M., 2016. "What cognitive sciences have to say about the impacts of nutritional labelling formats," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 17-29.
- McLaughlin, Patrick & Dicken, Christopher, 2016. "Evolution of the Food-Away-From-Home Industry: Recent and Emerging Trends," 2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, 2016, Boston, Massachusetts 236077, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oxp:obooks:9780199569441. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Book Marketing)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed