Schumpeter on money, banking and finance: an institutionalist perspective
In this paper we provide an institutional interpretation of Schumpeter's analysis of money, banking and finance. We justify this interpretation by considering first Schumpeter's overall methodological perspective, in particular the role played by economic sociology in his approach, and second by showing that the way Schumpeter describes the successive steps of economic development - circular flow, steady state and development - provides a good illustration of how institutional change is progressively introduced into his analytical framework and of the leading role of the banking system in the overall evolution of the financial system.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJH20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJH20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Nasica, 2002. "Financing economic activity: Schumpeter vs Keynes," Post-Print halshs-00468593, HAL.
- Hodgson, Geoffrey M. & Knudsen, Thorbjorn, 2006. "Why we need a generalized Darwinism, and why generalized Darwinism is not enough," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 1-19, September.
- Geoffrey M. Hodgson, 1998. "The Approach of Institutional Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 166-192, March.
- Markus C. Becker & Thorbjørn Knudsen & James G. March, 2006. "Schumpeter, Winter, and the sources of novelty," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(2), pages 353-371, April.
- North, Douglass C., 1993.
"Economic Performance through Time,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1993-2, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Schumpeter, Joseph A., 1947. "The Creative Response in Economic History," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 149-159, November.
- Shionoya,Yuichi, 1997. "Schumpeter and the Idea of Social Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521430340, June.
- Powell, Walter W, 1996. "Weber and Schumpeter: Turbulent Lives, Ideas Never at Rest," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 917-24.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eujhet:v:16:y:2009:i:2:p:325-356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.