Almost Consistent Estimation of Panel Probit Models with "Small" Fixed Effects
We propose four different GMM estimators that allow almost consistent estimation of the structural parameters of panel probit models with fixed effects for the case of small T and large N . The moments used are derived for each period from a first order approximation of the mean of the dependent variable conditional on explanatory variables and on the fixed effect. The estimators differ w.r.t. the choice of instruments and whether they use trimming to reduce the bias or not. In a Monte Carlo study, we compare these estimators with pooled probit and conditional logit estimators for different data generating processes. The results show that the proposed estimators outperform these competitors in several situations.
Volume (Year): 22 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/LECR20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- Thierry Magnac, 2002. "Binary variables and fixed effects: generalizing conditional logit," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 D6-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Bo E. Honore & Arthur Lewbel, 1998.
"Semiparametric Binary Choice Panel Data Models without Strictly Exogeneous Regressors,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
455, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 22 Sep 2001.
- Bo E. Honore & Arthur Lewbel, 2002. "Semiparametric Binary Choice Panel Data Models Without Strictly Exogeneous Regressors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 2053-2063, September.
- Bo E. Honoré & Ekaterini Kyriazidou, 2000. "Panel Data Discrete Choice Models with Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 839-874, July.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1994.
"The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1349-82, November.
- Newey, W.K., 1989. "The Asymptotic Variance Of Semiparametric Estimotors," Papers 346, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Newey, W.K., 1991. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Working papers 583, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Manski, Charles F, 1987. "Semiparametric Analysis of Random Effects Linear Models from Binary Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 357-62, March.
- Abrevaya, Jason, 2000. "Rank estimation of a generalized fixed-effects regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Charlier, G.W.P. & Melenberg, B. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1995. "A smoothed maximum score estimator for the binary choice panel data model with an application to labour force participation," Other publications TiSEM 93782c09-3feb-455f-bf00-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Gary Chamberlain, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 225-238.
- Butler, J S & Moffitt, Robert, 1982. "A Computationally Efficient Quadrature Procedure for the One-Factor Multinomial Probit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 761-64, May.
- Avery, Robert B & Hansen, Lars Peter & Hotz, V Joseph, 1983. "Multiperiod Probit Models and Orthogonality Condition Estimation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(1), pages 21-35, February.
- Bertschek, Irene & Lechner, Michael, 1998.
"Convenient estimators for the panel probit model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 329-371, September.
- Myoung-jae Lee, 1999. "A Root-N Consistent Semiparametric Estimator for Related-Effect Binary Response Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(2), pages 427-434, March.
- G. S. Maddala, 1987. "Limited Dependent Variable Models Using Panel Data," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 22(3), pages 307-338.
- Newey, Whitney K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1986. "Large sample estimation and hypothesis testing," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 36, pages 2111-2245 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:emetrv:v:22:y:2003:i:1:p:1-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.