Product diversification and stability of employment and sales: first evidence from German manufacturing firms
In this study, we use a unique rich newly built data set for German manufacturing enterprises to investigate the relationship between product diversification and the stability of sales and employment. We find that contrary to portfolio theoretic considerations, more diversified firms exhibit a higher variability of sales and employment. However, the effects are negligibly small from an economics point of view.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 27 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Gornig & Bernd Görzig, 2007. "Verstärkte Spezialisierung deutscher Unternehmen," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 74(20), pages 333-335.
- Hirsch, Seev & Lev, Baruch, 1971. "Sales Stabilization Through Export Diversification," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 270-277, August.
- Bernd Görzig & Martin Gornig & Ramona Pohl, 2007. "Spezialisierung und Unternehmenserfolg im verarbeitenden Gewerbe Deutschlands," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 76(3), pages 43-58.
- Nils Braakmann & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Product Differentiation and Profitability in German Manufacturing Firms," Working Paper Series in Economics 115, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Ernest H. Hall Jr., 1995. "Corporate Diversification and Perfor Mance: An Investigation of Causality," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 20(1), pages 25-42, June.