Stochastic optimal hedge ratio: theory and evidence
The minimum variance hedge ratio is widely used by investors to immunize against the price risk. This hedge ratio is usually assumed to be constant across time by practitioners, which might be a too restrictive assumption because the Optimal Hedge Ratio (OHR) might vary across time. In this article we put forward a proposition that a stochastic OHR performs differently than an OHR with constant structure even in the situations in which the mean value of the stochastic OHR is equal to the constant OHR. A mathematical proof is provided for this proposition combined with some simulation results and an application to the US stock market during 1999--2009 using weekly data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Robert E. Cumby & Stephen Figlewski, 1986.
"Estimation of the optimal futures hedge,"
Research Working Paper
86-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Tae H. Park & Lorne N. Switzer, 1995. "Bivariate GARCH estimation of the optimal hedge ratios for stock index futures: A note," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 61-67, 02.
- Myers, Robert J. & Thompson, Stanley R., 1988. "Generalized Optimal Hedge Ratio Estimation," Staff Papers 200967, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-124, April-Jun.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Sultan, Jahangir, 1993. "Time-Varying Distributions and Dynamic Hedging with Foreign Currency Futures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 535-551, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:19:y:2012:i:8:p:699-703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.