Assessment of variance components in nonlinear mixed-effects elliptical models
The issue of assessing variance components is essential in deciding on the inclusion of random effects in the context of mixed models. In this work we discuss this problem by supposing nonlinear elliptical models for correlated data by using the score-type test proposed in Silvapulle and Silvapulle ( 1995 ). Being asymptotically equivalent to the likelihood ratio test and only requiring the estimation under the null hypothesis, this test provides a fairly easy computable alternative for assessing one-sided hypotheses in the context of the marginal model. Taking into account the possible non-normal distribution, we assume that the joint distribution of the response variable and the random effects lies in the elliptical class, which includes light-tailed and heavy-tailed distributions such as Student-t, power exponential, logistic, generalized Student-t, generalized logistic, contaminated normal, and the normal itself, among others. We compare the sensitivity of the score-type test under normal, Student-t and power exponential models for the kinetics data set discussed in Vonesh and Carter ( 1992 ) and fitted using the model presented in Russo et al. ( 2009 ). Also, a simulation study is performed to analyze the consequences of the kurtosis misspecification. Copyright Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.seio.es/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/11749/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan R. Magnus & Andrey L. Vasnev, 2007.
"Local sensitivity and diagnostic tests,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(1), pages 166-192, 03.
- Patriota, Alexandre G., 2011. "A note on influence diagnostics in nonlinear mixed-effects elliptical models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 218-225, January.
- Cysneiros, Francisco Jose A. & Paula, Gilberto A., 2005. "Restricted methods in symmetrical linear regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 689-708, June.
- Osorio, Felipe & Paula, Gilberto A. & Galea, Manuel, 2007. "Assessment of local influence in elliptical linear models with longitudinal structure," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(9), pages 4354-4368, May.
- Zaixing Li & Lixing Zhu, 2010. "On Variance Components in Semiparametric Mixed Models for Longitudinal Data," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 37(3), pages 442-457.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:testjl:v:21:y:2012:i:3:p:519-545. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.