Trade liberalization, profitability, and financial leverage
We investigate the effects of trade liberalization on profitability and financial leverage using Canadian data arising from implementation of the Canada–US Free Trade Agreement. We find that falling domestic tariffs are associated with declining profits, especially for import-competing firms, while falling foreign tariffs are associated with increasing profits, especially for export-oriented firms. Also, import tariff reductions tend to increase leverage while export tariff reductions tend to decrease leverage. Journal of International Business Studies (2006) 37, 196–211. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400183
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 37 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
- Eugene Beaulieu, 2000. "The Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement and labour market adjustment in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 540-563, May.
- Bris, Arturo & Koskinen, Yrjö & Nilsson, Mattias, 2003. "The Euro is Good After All: Evidence from Corporate Valuations," CEPR Discussion Papers 3910, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey A. Wurgler & Malcolm P. Baker, 2001.
"Market Timing and Capital Structure,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm181, Yale School of Management.
- James A. Brander & Tracy R. Lewis, 1988. "Bankruptcy Costs and the Theory of Oligopoly," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 221-43, May.
- Denny Lewis-Bynoe & Jennifer Griffith & Winston Moore, 2002. "Trade Liberalization And The Manufacturing Sector: The Case Of The Small Developing Country," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(3), pages 272-287, 07.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 1994.
"Market Underreaction to Open Market Share Repurchases,"
NBER Working Papers
4965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ikenberry, David & Lakonishok, Josef & Vermaelen, Theo, 1995. "Market underreaction to open market share repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 181-208.
- Wulong Gu & Gary Sawchuk & Lori Rennison, 2003.
"The effect of tariff reductions on firm size and firm turnover in canadian manufacturing,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 139(3), pages 440-459, September.
- Whewell, Lori & Gu, Wulong & Sawchuk, Gary, 2003. "The Effect of Tariff Reductions on Firm Size and Firm Turnover in Canadian Manufacturing," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2003014e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Kraus, Alan & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1973. "A State-Preference Model of Optimal Financial Leverage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(4), pages 911-22, September.
- Peter MacKay & Gordon M. Phillips, 2002. "Is There an Optimal Industry Financial Structure?," NBER Working Papers 9032, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- Mahua Barari, 1997. "Trade policy with asset markets: The role of financial structure for time consistency," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 18-36, February.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2003. "Testing the pecking order theory of capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 217-248, February.
- Daniel Trefler, 2006.
"The Long and Short of the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement,"
STICERD - Economics of Industry Papers
41, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Daniel Trefler, 2004. "The Long and Short of the Canada-U. S. Free Trade Agreement," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 870-895, September.
- Daniel Trefler, 2001. "The Long and Short of the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement," NBER Working Papers 8293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Trefler, 2006. "The long and short of the Canada-U.S. free trade agreement," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6721, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jen Baggs, 2005. "Firm survival and exit in response to trade liberalization," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1364-1383, November.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Cole, Harold, 1988. "Financial Structure and International Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(2), pages 237-59, May.
- Maksimovic, Vojislav & Zechner, Josef, 1991. " Debt, Agency Costs, and Industry Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1619-43, December.
- Dan Kovenock & Gordon M Phillips, 1995.
"Capital Structure And Product Market Rivalry: How Do We Reconcile Theory And Evidence?,"
95-3, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Kovenock, Dan & Phillips, Gordon, 1995. "Capital Structure and Product-Market Rivalry: How Do We Reconcile Theory and Evidence?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 403-08, May.
- Nina Pavcnik, 2000.
"Trade Liberalization, Exit, and Productivity Improvements: Evidence from Chilean Plants,"
NBER Working Papers
7852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nina Pavcnik, 2002. "Trade Liberalization, Exit, and Productivity Improvements: Evidence from Chilean Plants," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 245-276.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1988. "Takeovers: Their Causes and Consequences," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 21-48, Winter.
- James A. Brander, 1989. "Election Polls, Free Trade, and the Stock Market: Evidence from the Canadian General Election," NBER Working Papers 3073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 1999. "Rationalization effects of tariff reductions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 295-320, April.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eugene F. Fama, 2002.
"Testing Trade-Off and Pecking Order Predictions About Dividends and Debt,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, . "Testing Tradeoff and Pecking Order Predictions about Dividends and Debt.”," CRSP working papers 506, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Chevalier, Judith A, 1995. "Capital Structure and Product-Market Competition: Empirical Evidence from the Supermarket Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 415-35, June.
- Noel Gaston & Daniel Trefler, 1997. "The Labour Market Consequences of the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 18-41, February.
- Ritter, Jay R, 1991. " The Long-run Performance of Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 3-27, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:jintbs:v:37:y:2006:i:2:p:196-211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iulia Badea)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.