Regulatory Policy Design for Agroecosystem Management on Public Rangelands
This paper develops a model to analyze regulatory design for agroecosystem management on public rangeland. We define and compare the efficiency of the most prominent regulatory instruments on public rangeland--input regulation, cost-sharing/taxation, and performance regulation. We show that given informational asymmetries between ranchers and regulators within federal land management agencies, performance regulation can achieve first-best outcomes when regulators can perfectly monitor ranch-level ecological conditions and do not face constraints due to budget limitations or restrictions on the level of penalties they can assess, but that under imperfect monitoring and/or budgetary/penalty constraints, input regulation and cost-sharing/taxation can dominate performance regulation. Copyright 2013, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 95 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Axel Gautier, 2004.
"Regulation under Financial Constraints,"
Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(4), pages 645-656, December.
- GAUTIER, Axel, . "Regulation under financial constraints," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1815, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Axel Gautier, 2002. "Regulation under Financial Constraints," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse16_2002, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Watts, Myles J & Shimshack, Jay P & LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 2006.
"Grazing Fees versus Stewardship on Federal Lands,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt26b384t9, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Bontems, Philippe & Bourgeon, Jean-Marc, 2005.
"Optimal environmental taxation and enforcement policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 409-435, February.
- P. Bontems & J-M. Bourgeon, 2000. "Optimal Environmental Taxation and Enforcement Policy," THEMA Working Papers 2000-56, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & Myles J. Watts, 1995.
"Public Grazing in the West and "Rangeland Reform '94","
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(3), pages 447-461.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & Myles J. Watts, 1995. "Public Grazing in the West and "Rangeland Reform '94"," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-46, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Anthon, Signe & Bogetoft, Peter & Thorsen, Bo Jellesmark, 2007. "Socially optimal procurement with tight budgets and rationing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1625-1642, August.
- Xu, Feng & Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Torell, L. Allen, 1994. "Modeling Nonnegativity Via Truncated Logistic And Normal Distributions: An Application To Ranch Land Price Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Johnson, Ronald N. & Watts, Myles J., 1989. "Contractual stipulations, resource use, and interest groups: Implications from federal grazing contracts," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 87-96, January.
- Feng, Hongli, 2002.
"Green Payments And Dual Policy Goals,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19697, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hongli Feng, 2007. "Green Payments and Dual Policy Goals," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 02-wp304, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Feng, Hongli, 2007. "Green Payments and Dual Policy Goals," Staff General Research Papers 2108, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bontems, Philippe & Thomas, Alban, 2006. "AJAE Appendix: Regulating Nitrogen Pollution with Risk-Averse Farmers under Hidden Information and Moral Hazard," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), February.
- Rui R. Zhao, 2008. "All-or-Nothing Monitoring," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1619-28, September.
- Philippe Bontems & Gilles Rotillon & Nadine Turpin, 2005. "Self-Selecting Agri-environmental Policieswith an Application to the Don Watershed," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(3), pages 275-301, 07.
- GAUTIER, Axel & MITRA, Munipushpak, .
"Regulating a monopolist with limited funds,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1843, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Havstad, Kris M. & Peters, Debra P.C. & Skaggs, Rhonda & Brown, Joel & Bestelmeyer, Brandon & Fredrickson, Ed & Herrick, Jeffrey & Wright, Jack, 2007. "Ecological services to and from rangelands of the United States," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 261-268, December.
- Brent Hueth & Tigran Melkonyan, 2009. "Standards and the regulation of environmental risk," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 219-246, December.
- Keith, John E. & Lyon, Kenneth S., 1985. "Valuing Wildlife Management: A Utah Deer Herd," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 10(02), December.
- Sheriff, Glenn, 2008. "Optimal environmental regulation of politically influential sectors with asymmetric information," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 72-89, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:95:y:2013:i:3:p:606-627. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.