Irving Fisher and Price‐Level Targeting in Austria: Was Silver the Answer?
The question of price level versus inflation targeting remains controversial. Disagreement concerns, not so much the desirability of price stability, but rather the means of achieving it. Irving Fisher argued for a commodity dollar standard where the purchasing power of money was fixed by indexing it to a basket of commodities. We show that movements in the price of silver closely track the movements in overall prices during the classical gold standard era. The one-to-one relationship between paper and silver bonds suggests that a simple "silver rule" could have sufficed to fix the purchasing power of money.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 44 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (06)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flandreau, Marc & Komlos, John, 2006.
"Target zones in theory and history: Credibility, efficiency, and policy autonomy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 1979-1995, November.
- Flandreau, Marc & Komlos, John, 2005. "Target Zones in Theory and History: Credibility, Efficiency, and Policy Autonomy," CEPR Discussion Papers 5199, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bordo Michael D. & Dittmar Robert D & Gavin William T., 2007.
"Gold, Fiat Money, and Price Stability,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-31, August.
- Michael D. Bordo & Robert Dittmar & William T. Gavin, 2006. "Gold, fiat money and price stability," Working Papers 2003-014, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Michael D. Bordo & Robert D. Dittmar & William T. Gavin, 2003. "Gold, Fiat Money, and Price Stability," NBER Working Papers 10171, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George A. Kahn, 2009. "Beyond inflation targeting: should central banks target the price level?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 35-64.
- Jobst, Clemens, 2009. "Market leader: the Austro-Hungarian Bank and the making of foreign exchange intervention, 1896–1913," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 287-318, December.
- Frederic Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2002. "A Decade of Inflation Targeting in the World: What Do We Know and What Do We Need to Know?," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Norman Loayza & Raimundo Soto & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Editor) (ed.), Inflation Targeting: Desing, Performance, Challenges, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 4, pages 171-220 Central Bank of Chile.
- Berg, C. & Jonung, L., 1998.
"Pioneering Price Level Targeting: The Swedish Experience 1931-1937,"
642, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Berg, Claes & Jonung, Lars, 1999. "Pioneering price level targeting: The Swedish experience 1931-1937," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 525-551, June.
- Berg, Claes & Jonung, Lars, 1998. "Pioneering Price Level Targeting:The Swedish Experience 1931-1937," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 290, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Berg, Claes & Jonung, Lars, 1998. "Pioneering Price Level Targeting: The Swedish Experience 1931-1937," Seminar Papers 642, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Burdekin, Richard C.K., 2008. "US pressure on China: Silver flows, deflation, and the 1934 Shanghai credit crunch," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 170-182, June.
- Blattman, Christopher & Hwang, Jason & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 2007. "Winners and losers in the commodity lottery: The impact of terms of trade growth and volatility in the Periphery 1870-1939," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 156-179, January.
- Marc Flandreau, 2001.
"The Bank, the States, and the Market: an Austro-Hungarian Tale for Euroland, 1867-1914,"
Sciences Po publications
n°43, Sciences Po.
- Marc Flandreau, 2001. "The Bank, the States, and the Market: An Austro-Hungarian Tale for Euroland, 1867-1914," Working Papers 43, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Sumner, Scott B, 1990. "The Forerunners of "New Monetary Economics" Proposals to Stabilize the Unit of Account," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(1), pages 109-18, February.
- Ron Alquist, 2008.
"How Important Is Liquidity Risk for Sovereign Bond Risk Premia? Evidence from the London Stock Exchange,"
Staff Working Papers
08-47, Bank of Canada.
- Alquist, Ron, 2010. "How important is liquidity risk for sovereign bond risk premia? Evidence from the London stock exchange," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 219-229, November.
- Frieden, Jeffry A., 1997. "Monetary Populism in Nineteenth-Century America: An Open Economy Interpretation," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(02), pages 367-395, June.
- John Komlos & Marc Flandreau, . "Core or Periphery? The Credibility of the Austro-Hungarian Currency, 1867-1913," Articles by John Komlos 4, Department of Economics, University of Munich.
- Perez, Stephen J & Siegler, Mark V, 2003. " Inflationary Expectations and the Fisher Effect prior to World War I," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(6), pages 947-65, December.
- Dowd, Kevin, 1996. "The Analytics of Bimetallism," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 64(3), pages 281-97, September.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Smets, Frank & Vestin, David, 2007.
"Is time ripe for price level path stability?,"
Working Paper Series
0818, European Central Bank.
- Jonung, Lars, 1979. "Knut wicksell's norm of price stabilization and Swedish monetary policy in the 1930's," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 459-496, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:44:y:2012:i:4:p:733-750. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.