IDEAS home Printed from https://ideas.repec.org/a/mcb/jmoncb/v34y2002i2p393-411.html
   My bibliography  Save this article

Did Banks' Security Affiliates Add Value? Evidence from the Commercial Banking Industry during the 1920s

Author

Listed:
  • Ramirez, Carlos D

Abstract

This paper finds that banks' security affiliates added 4% to 7% to the market value of commercial banks in 1926 and 1927. This result is robust to the inclusion of a large array of control variables, including risk, regulatory environment, and financial health variables such as the capital-asset ratio and profitability measures. Bank size explains about 40% of this premium, thus suggesting that economies of scale were present. The remaining 60% of the premium most likely came from economies of scope. This result implies that the Glass-Steagall Act, by disallowing banks' involvement in the securities industry, had a direct cost in lost market value for the commercial banking industry.

Suggested Citation

  • Ramirez, Carlos D, 2002. "Did Banks' Security Affiliates Add Value? Evidence from the Commercial Banking Industry during the 1920s," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 393-411, May.
  • Handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:34:y:2002:i:2:p:393-411
    as

    Download full text from publisher

    To our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
    1. Check below whether another version of this item is available online.
    2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
    3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.

    Citations

    Citations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
    as


    Cited by:

    1. Charles W. Calomiris & Stephen H. Haber, 2014. "Interest Groups and the Glass-Steagall Act," ifo DICE Report, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 11(4), pages 14-18, 01.
    2. repec:ces:ifodic:v:11:y:2014:i:4:p:19105950 is not listed on IDEAS
    3. Marc Flandreau & Norbert Gaillard & Ugo Panizza, 2009. "Conflicts of Interest, Reputation and the Interwar Debt Crisis: Banksters or Bad Luck?," IHEID Working Papers 02-2010, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised Feb 2010.
    4. Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2003. "Restructuring in the banking industry withimplications for Europe," EIB Papers 5/2003, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
    5. Al-Jarhi, Mabid Ali, 2005. "The Case For Universal Banking As A Component Of Islamic Banking," Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 13, pages 2-65.

    More about this item

    Statistics

    Access and download statistics

    Corrections

    All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:34:y:2002:i:2:p:393-411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

    For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879 .

    If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

    We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .

    If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

    Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.

    IDEAS is a RePEc service hosted by the Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis . RePEc uses bibliographic data supplied by the respective publishers.