Using different null hypotheses to test for seasonal unit roots in economic time series
This paper tries to make a contribution by discussing the application of different testing procedures to determine the seasonal properties of quarterly data. We focus on the Hylleberg et al. and on the Canova-Hansen tests. The former detect a unit root at the zero frequency but no seasonal unit roots. The latter reveal that the series displays a statistically significant seasonal pattern with changing coefficients of some seasonal dummy variables. The CH tests finding of a seasonal unit root at frequency ? does not agree with the HEGY-type test results. An explanation is given to try to interpret these two contradictory outcomes.
Volume (Year): XLVIII (2002)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Calle 48 No555 - La Plata (1900)|
Phone: 21- 1466
Web page: http://www.depeco.econo.unlp.edu.ar/economica/ing/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip Hans Franses & Robert Taylor, .
"Determining the Order of Differencing in Seasonal Time Series Processes,"
97/9, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Philip Hans Franses And A. M. Robert Taylor, 2000. "Determining the order of differencing in seasonal time series processes," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 250-264.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Margarido, Mario Antonio & Kato, Heitor T. & Bueno, Carlos Roberto Ferreira & Junior, Edison Cambon, 1996. "Análise dos impactos das cotações do dólar paralelo e do índice pluviométrico sobre os preços do boi gordo no estado de S. Paulo," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 50(2), April.
- Dickey, David A & Pantula, Sastry G, 2002. "Determining the Order of Differencing in Autoregressive Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 18-24, January.
- Antonio Aguirre, 1995. "Uma introdução à análise espectral de séries temporais econômicas," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG 081, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal Integration And Cointegration,"
0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Beaulieu, J Joseph & Miron, Jeffrey A, 1992.
"A Cross Country Comparison of Seasonal Cycles and Business Cycles,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 772-88, July.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1991. "A Cross Country Comparison of Seasonal Cycles and Business Cycles," Papers 0011, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1990. "A Cross Country Comparison of Seasonal Cycles and Business Cycles," NBER Working Papers 3459, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miron, J.A., 1988. "A Cross-Country Comparaison Of Seasonal Cycles And Business Cycles," Papers 89-07, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Hylleberg, Svend, 1995. "Tests for seasonal unit roots general to specific or specific to general?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 5-25, September.
- Andreu Sanso & Manuel Artis Ortuno & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1998. "Comportamiento en muestra finita de los contrastes de integracion estacional para datos mensuales," Working Papers in Economics 43, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka, 1990. "Testing the Order of Differencing in Quarterly Data: An Illustration of the Testing Sequence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(1), pages 79-88, February.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1992.
"Seasonal Unit Roots in Aggregate U.S. Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Osborn, Denise R, et al, 1988. "Seasonality and the Order of Integration for Consumption," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 50(4), pages 361-77, November.
- Antonio Aguirre, 1995. "Uma introdução à análise espectral de séries temporais econômicas," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 5(1), pages 41-60, August.
- Canova, Fabio & Hansen, Bruce E, 1995. "Are Seasonal Patterns Constant over Time? A Test for Seasonal Stability," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 237-52, July.
- Ghysels, E., 1990.
"On the Economic and Econometrics of Seasonality,"
Cahiers de recherche
9028, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Antonio Aguirre, 1997. "Testing for seasonal unit roots in a quarterly series of beef cattle prices in the state of São Paulo (Brazil)," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td115, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Harvey, Andrew & Scott, Andrew, 1994.
"Seasonality in Dynamic Regression Models,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1324-45, November.
- Osborn, Denise R., 1990. "A survey of seasonality in UK macroeconomic variables," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 327-336, October.
- Antonio Aguirre & Luis Antonio Aguirre, 2000. "Time series analysis of monthly beef cattle prices with nonlinear autoregressive models," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 265-275.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lap:journl:525. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margarita Machelett)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.