Using different null hypotheses to test for seasonal unit roots in economic time series
This paper tries to make a contribution by discussing the application of different testing procedures to determine the seasonal properties of quarterly data. We focus on the Hylleberg et al. and on the Canova-Hansen tests. The former detect a unit root at the zero frequency but no seasonal unit roots. The latter reveal that the series displays a statistically significant seasonal pattern with changing coefficients of some seasonal dummy variables. The CH tests finding of a seasonal unit root at frequency ? does not agree with the HEGY-type test results. An explanation is given to try to interpret these two contradictory outcomes.
Volume (Year): XLVIII (2002)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Calle 48 No555 - La Plata (1900)|
Phone: 21- 1466
Web page: http://www.depeco.econo.unlp.edu.ar/economica/ing/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal Integration And Cointegration,"
0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Beaulieu, J Joseph & Miron, Jeffrey A, 1992.
"A Cross Country Comparison of Seasonal Cycles and Business Cycles,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 772-88, July.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1990. "A Cross Country Comparison of Seasonal Cycles and Business Cycles," NBER Working Papers 3459, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miron, J.A., 1988. "A Cross-Country Comparaison Of Seasonal Cycles And Business Cycles," Papers 89-07, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1991. "A Cross Country Comparison of Seasonal Cycles and Business Cycles," Papers 0011, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Ghysels, E., 1990.
"On the Economic and Econometrics of Seasonality,"
Cahiers de recherche
9028, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Philip Hans Franses & Robert Taylor, .
"Determining the Order of Differencing in Seasonal Time Series Processes,"
97/9, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Philip Hans Franses And A. M. Robert Taylor, 2000. "Determining the order of differencing in seasonal time series processes," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 250-264.
- Osborn, Denise R., 1990. "A survey of seasonality in UK macroeconomic variables," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 327-336, October.
- Antonio Aguirre & Luis Antonio Aguirre, 2000. "Time series analysis of monthly beef cattle prices with nonlinear autoregressive models," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 265-275.
- Osborn, Denise R, et al, 1988. "Seasonality and the Order of Integration for Consumption," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 50(4), pages 361-77, November.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1992.
"Seasonal Unit Roots in Aggregate U.S. Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka, 1990. "Testing the Order of Differencing in Quarterly Data: An Illustration of the Testing Sequence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(1), pages 79-88, February.
- Antonio Aguirre, 1997. "Testing for seasonal unit roots in a quarterly series of beef cattle prices in the state of São Paulo (Brazil)," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td115, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Canova, Fabio & Hansen, Bruce E, 1995. "Are Seasonal Patterns Constant over Time? A Test for Seasonal Stability," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 237-52, July.
- Margarido, Mario Antonio & Kato, Heitor T. & Bueno, Carlos Roberto Ferreira & Junior, Edison Cambon, 1996. "Análise dos impactos das cotações do dólar paralelo e do índice pluviométrico sobre os preços do boi gordo no estado de S. Paulo," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 50(2), April.
- Antonio Aguirre, 1995. "Uma introdução à análise espectral de séries temporais econômicas," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 5(1), pages 41-60, August.
- Andrew C Harvey & Andrew Scott, 1994.
"Seasonality in Dynamic Regression Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0184, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hylleberg, Svend, 1995. "Tests for seasonal unit roots general to specific or specific to general?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 5-25, September.
- Antonio Aguirre, 1995. "Uma introdução à análise espectral de séries temporais econômicas," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG 081, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Andreu Sanso & Manuel Artis Ortuno & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1998. "Comportamiento en muestra finita de los contrastes de integracion estacional para datos mensuales," Working Papers in Economics 43, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Dickey, David A & Pantula, Sastry G, 2002. "Determining the Order of Differencing in Autoregressive Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 18-24, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lap:journl:525. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margarita Machelett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.