Unification of Dual Foreign Exchange Markets
In this paper I investigate the impact of overnight floating of the official rate and easing foreign exchange restrictions on post-unification domestic inflation rate. After analysing the behaviour of an economy under dual foreign exchange markets, an official market with a crawling foreign exchange rate and a free illegal parallel market. The paper also shows that maintaining a unified free exchange rate depends on the degree of foreign exchange restrictions under dual foreign exchange system and on the level of the official reserve that prompts foreign exchange liberalisation policy. Copyright 2000 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Volume (Year): 33 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/development/journal/10644/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiguel, Miguel & O'Connell, Stephen A, 1995. "Parallel Exchange Rates in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 10(1), pages 21-52, February.
- Onour, Ibrahim & Cameron, Norman, 1997. "Parallel Market Premia and Misalignment of Official Exchange Rates," MPRA Paper 15537, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1986.
"Special Exchange Rates for Capital Account Transactions,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 3-33, September.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985. "Special Exchange Rates for Capital Account Transactions," NBER Working Papers 1659, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saul Lizondo, Jose, 1987. "Unification of dual exchange markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 57-77, February.
- Pinto, Brian, 1991. "Black markets for foreign exchange, real exchange rates and inflation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 121-135, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ecopln:v:33:y:2000:i:3:p:171-84. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.