Post-crisis bank liquidity risk management disclosure
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to investigate post-crisis measures banks have adopted in a bid to manage liquidity risk. It is based on the fact that the financial liquidity market was greatly affected during the recent economic turmoil and financial meltdown. During the crisis, liquidity risk management disclosure was crucial for confidence building in market participants. Design/methodology/approach - The study investigates if Basel II pillar 3 disclosures on liquidity risk management are applied by 20 of top 33 world banks. Bank selection is based on information availability, geographic balance and comprehensiveness of the language in which information is provided. This information is searched from the World Wide Web, with a minimum of one hour allocated to “content search”, and indefinite time for “content analyses”. Such content scrutiny is guided by 16 disclosure principles classified in four main categories. Findings - Only 25 per cent of sampled banks provide publicly accessible liquidity risk management information, a clear indication that in the post-crisis era, many top ranking banks still do not take Basel disclosure norms seriously, especially the February 2008 pre-crisis warning by the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision. Research limitations/implications - Bank stakeholders should easily have access to information on liquidity risk management. Banks falling-short of making such information available might not inspire confidence in market participants in events of financial panic and turmoil. As in the run-up to the previous financial crisis, if banks are not compelled to explicitly and expressly disclose what measures they adopt in a bid to guarantee stakeholder liquidity, the onset of any financial shake-up would only precipitate a meltdown. The main limitation of this study is the use of the World Wide Web as the only source of information available to bank stakeholders and/or market participants. Originality/value - The contribution of this paper to literature can be viewed from the role it plays in investigating post-crisis measures banks have adopted in a bid to inform stakeholders on their management of liquidity risk.
Volume (Year): 5 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=qrfm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V, 2001.
"The Many Faces of Information Disclosure,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(4), pages 1021-1057.
- Arnoud W. A. Boot & Anjan V. Thakor, 1998. "The Many Faces of Information Disclosure," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 80, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, AslI & Detragiache, Enrica & Tressel, Thierry, 2008. "Banking on the principles: Compliance with Basel Core Principles and bank soundness," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 511-542, October.
- Enrica Detragiache & Thierry Tressel & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt, 2006. "Banking on the Principles; Compliance with Basel Core Principles and Bank Soundness," IMF Working Papers 06/242, International Monetary Fund.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Tressel, Thierry, 2006. "Banking on the principles : compliance with Basel Core Principles and bank soundness," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3954, The World Bank.
- Ratnovski, Lev, 2009. "Bank liquidity regulation and the lender of last resort," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 541-558, October.
- Detragiache, Enrica & Gupta, Poonam, 2006. "Foreign banks in emerging market crises: Evidence from Malaysia," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 217-242, October.
- Enrica Detragiache & Poonam Gupta, 2004. "Foreign Banks in Emerging Market Crises; Evidence From Malaysia," IMF Working Papers 04/129, International Monetary Fund.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 1998. "Public Disclosure and Bank Failures," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 110-131, March.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 1997. "Public Disclosure and Bank Failures," IMF Working Papers 97/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Cordella, Tito & Levy Yeyati, Eduardo, 1998. "Public Disclosure and Bank Failures," CEPR Discussion Papers 1886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Admati, Anat R & Pfleiderer, Paul, 2000. "Forcing Firms to Talk: Financial Disclosure Regulation and Externalities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(3), pages 479-519.
- Merrouche, Ouarda & Schanz, Jochen, 2010. "Banks' intraday liquidity management during operational outages: Theory and evidence from the UK payment system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 314-323, February.
- Merrouche, Ouarda & Schanz, Jochen, 2009. "Banks' intraday liquidity management during operational outages: theory and evidence from the UK payment system," Bank of England working papers 370, Bank of England.
- Chen, Yehning & Hasan, Iftekhar, 2006. "The transparency of the banking system and the efficiency of information-based bank runs," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 307-331, July.
- Qian, Yiming & John, Kose & John, Teresa A., 2004. "Financial system design and liquidity provision by banks and markets in a dynamic economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 385-403, April.
- Dinger, Valeriya, 2009. "Do foreign-owned banks affect banking system liquidity risk?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 647-657, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:qrfmpp:v:5:y:2013:i:1:p:65-84. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.