Efectos de los ciclos de crédito en México sobre la tasa de ahorro de los hogares, 1989-1996
This paper deals with households saving behavior during 1989-1996, when Mexico experienced a financial reform and a financial crisis. This work considers explicitly the role of fragmented financial markets in the country. Using the Mexican National Surveys of Income and Expenditures, it is shown that households had different degrees of exposure to the financial market depending on their income level and location. Specifically, the paper analyzes the effects of the credit expansion of the early 1990’s and the credit contraction after the financial crisis at the end of 1994 in Mexico, on the households’ saving rate. In the financial reform case, results indicate that households with greater exposure to the financial system reduced their saving rate after the reform. This effect was stronger among younger households. In the case of the credit contraction, results show that households with higher access to the financial system increased their saving rate. In the former event, the effect was stronger among older households. This indicates different motives for the changes in the saving rate in the two episodes.
Volume (Year): X (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (July-December)
|Contact details of provider:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masao Ogaki & Jonathan David Ostry & Carmen Reinhart, 1995.
"Saving Behavior in Low and Middle-Income Developing Countries; A Comparison,"
IMF Working Papers
95/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Masao Ogaki & Jonathan D. Ostry & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle-Income Developing Countries: A Comparison," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 38-71, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao & Ostry, Jonathan, 1995. "Saving behavior in low- and middle-income developing countries," MPRA Paper 13757, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao & Ostry, Jonathan, 1996. "Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle-Income Developing Countries: A Comparison," MPRA Paper 6978, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berg, Lennart & Bergstrom, Reinhold, 1995. " Housing and Financial Wealth, Financial Deregulation and Consumption--The Swedish Case," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(3), pages 421-39, September.
- Diaz-Alejandro, Carlos, 1985. "Good-bye financial repression, hello financial crash," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 1-24.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emc:ecomex:v:10:y:2001:i:2:p:169-211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Tiscareño)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.