The Greek Hyperinflation Revisited
The objective of this paper is to gain an insight into the Greek hyperinflation that occured during the period 1941-1946. In doing so, a relatively novel data-set in conjuction with the bound testing approach to cointegration and error correction models developed within the autoregressive distributed lag (ARDL) framework, shed additional light on the underlying long-run relationship between money supply and inflation. Granger causality tests between money supply and prices are also conducted in the effort to ascertain the direction of causality between money supply and the (hyper) inflation rate.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (Summer)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ekonomia.ucy.ac.cy/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Makinen, Gail E., 1988. "The Greek Hyperinflation and Stabilization of 1943–1946: A Reply," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 48(01), pages 140-142, March.
- Hakkio, Craig S. & Rush, Mark, 1991.
"Cointegration: how short is the long run?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 571-581, December.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1973. "Rational Expectations and the Dynamics of Hyperinflation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 328-50, June.
- Makinen, Gail E., 1986. "The Greek Hyperinflation and Stabilization of 1943–1946," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(03), pages 795-805, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ekn:ekonom:v:11:y:2008:i:1:p:19-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Managing Editor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.