Smoking and deprivation: are there neighbourhood effects?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephen Birch, 1999. "The 39 steps: the mystery of health inequalities in the UK," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 301-308.
- Hastert, Theresa A. & Ruterbusch, Julie J. & Beresford, Shirley A.A. & Sheppard, Lianne & White, Emily, 2016. "Contribution of health behaviors to the association between area-level socioeconomic status and cancer mortality," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 148(C), pages 52-58.
- Datta, Geetanjali Dabral & Subramanian, S.V. & Colditz, Graham A. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Palmer, Julie R. & Rosenberg, Lynn, 2006. "Individual, neighborhood, and state-level predictors of smoking among US Black women: A multilevel analysis," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 1034-1044, August.
- repec:pri:indrel:dsp01qz20ss50t is not listed on IDEAS
- Irma T. Elo & Laryssa Mykyta & Rachel Margolis & Jennifer F. Culhane, 2009. "Perceptions of Neighborhood Disorder: The Role of Individual and Neighborhood Characteristics," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1298-1320.
- Paul, Christine L. & Mee, Kathleen J. & Judd, Tanya M. & Walsh, Raoul A. & Tang, Anita & Penman, Andrew & Girgis, Afaf, 2010. "Anywhere, anytime: Retail access to tobacco in New South Wales and its potential impact on consumption and quitting," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 71(4), pages 799-806, August.
- Newbold, K. Bruce & Neligan, David, 2012. "Disaggregating Canadian immigrant smoking behaviour by country of birth," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(6), pages 997-1005.
- Chahine, T. & Subramanian, S.V. & Levy, J.I., 2011. "Sociodemographic and geographic variability in smoking in the U.S.: A multilevel analysis of the 2006-2007 Current Population Survey, Tobacco Use Supplement," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 73(5), pages 752-758, September.
- Jeffrey R. Kling & Jeffrey B. Liebman & Lawrence F. Katz & Lisa Sanbonmatsu, 2004.
"Moving to Opportuntiy and Tranquility: Neighborhood Effects on Adult Economic Self-sufficiency and Health from a Randomized Housing Voucher Experiment,"
247, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Jeffrey R. Kling & Jeffrey Liebman & Lawrence F. Katz & Lisa Sanbonmatsu, 2004. "Moving to Opportunity and Tranquility: Neighborhood Effects on Adult Economic Self-Sufficiency and Health From a Randomized Housing Voucher Experiment," Working Papers 5, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- King, Jeffrey & Liebman, Jeffrey & Katz, Lawrence & Sanbonmatsu, Lisa, 2004. "Moving to Opportunity and Tranquility: Neighborhood Effects on Adult Economic Self-Sufficiency and Health from a Randomized Housing Voucher Experiment," Working Paper Series rwp04-035, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Birch, Stephen & Jerrett, Michael & Wilson, Kathi & Law, Michael & Elliott, Susan & Eyles, John, 2005. "Heterogeneities in the production of health: smoking, health status and place," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 301-310, June.
- Merlo, Juan & Viciana-Fernández, Francisco J. & Ramiro-Fariñas, Diego, 2012. "Bringing the individual back to small-area variation studies: A multilevel analysis of all-cause mortality in Andalusia, Spain," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(8), pages 1477-1487.
- Esther Friedman & Robert Mare, 2014. "The Schooling of Offspring and the Survival of Parents," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 51(4), pages 1271-1293, August.
- Frohlich, Katherine L. & Ross, Nancy & Richmond, Chantelle, 2006. "Health disparities in Canada today: Some evidence and a theoretical framework," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 79(2-3), pages 132-143, December.
- Kendzor, Darla E. & Reitzel, Lorraine R. & Mazas, Carlos A. & Cofta-Woerpel, Ludmila M. & Cao, Yumei & Ji, Lingyun & Costello, Tracy J. & Vidrine, Jennifer Irvin & Businelle, Michael S. & Li, Yisheng , 2012. "Individual- and area-level unemployment influence smoking cessation among African Americans participating in a randomized clinical trial," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 74(9), pages 1394-1401.
- Twigg, Liz & Moon, Graham & Szatkowski, Lisa & Iggulden, Paul, 2009. "Smoking cessation in England: Intentionality, anticipated ease of quitting and advice provision," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(4), pages 610-619, February.
- Inagami, Sanae & Cohen, Deborah A. & Finch, Brian K., 2007. "Non-residential neighborhood exposures suppress neighborhood effects on self-rated health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 65(8), pages 1779-1791, October.
- Do, D. Phuong & Wang, Lu & Elliott, Michael R., 2013. "Investigating the relationship between neighborhood poverty and mortality risk: A marginal structural modeling approach," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 58-66.
- Do, D. Phuong & Dubowitz, Tamara & Bird, Chloe E. & Lurie, Nicole & Escarce, Jose J. & Finch, Brian K., 2007. "Neighborhood context and ethnicity differences in body mass index: A multilevel analysis using the NHANES III survey (1988-1994)," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 179-203, July.
- Miles, Rebecca, 2006. "Neighborhood disorder and smoking: Findings of a European urban survey," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(9), pages 2464-2475, November.
- Bernard, Paul & Charafeddine, Rana & Frohlich, Katherine L. & Daniel, Mark & Kestens, Yan & Potvin, Louise, 2007. "Health inequalities and place: A theoretical conception of neighbourhood," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 65(9), pages 1839-1852, November.
- Schempf, Ashley & Strobino, Donna & O'Campo, Patricia, 2009. "Neighborhood effects on birthweight: An exploration of psychosocial and behavioral pathways in Baltimore, 1995-1996," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 100-110, January.
- Kuipers, Mirte A.G. & Wingen, Marleen & Stronks, Karien & Kunst, Anton E., 2013. "Smoking initiation, continuation and prevalence in deprived urban areas compared to non-deprived urban areas in The Netherlands," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 87(C), pages 132-137.
More about this item
KeywordsSmoking Deprivation Neighbourhood effects Multilevel modelling;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:48:y:1999:i:4:p:497-505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.