Impatience implication of weakly Paretian orders: Existence and genericity
We study order theoretic and topological implications for impatience of weakly Paretian, representable orders on infinite utility streams. As a departure from the traditional literature, we do not make any continuity assumptions in proving the existence of impatient points. Impatience is robust in the sense that there are uncountably many impatient points. A general statement about genericity of impatience cannot be made for representable, weakly Paretian orders. This is shown by means of an example. If we assume a stronger sensitivity condition, then genericity obtains.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein & Ted O'Donoghue, 2002. "Time Discounting and Time Preference: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 351-401, June.
- Stuart Burness, H., 1973. "Impatience and the preference for advancement in the timing of satisfactions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 495-507, October.
- Lauwers, Luc, 2010.
"Ordering infinite utility streams comes at the cost of a non-Ramsey set,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 32-37, January.
- Luc LAUWERS, 2009. "Ordering infinite utility streams comes at the cost of a non-Ramsey set," Working Papers Department of Economics ces09.05, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Dubey, Ram Sewak & Mitra, Tapan, 2010.
"On Equitable Social Welfare Functions Satisfying the Weak Pareto Axiom: A Complete Characterimplete Characterization,"
10-02, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Ram Sewak Dubey & Tapan Mitra, 2011. "On equitable social welfare functions satisfying the Weak Pareto Axiom: A complete characterization," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 7(3), pages 231-250, 09.
- Jean-Pierre BenoÃ®t & Efe OK, 2005.
2005 Meeting Papers
752, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Rincón-Zapatero, Juan Pablo & Núñez, Carmelo & Crespo, Juan A., 2007.
"On the impossibility of representing infinite utility streams,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
we075530, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Juan Crespo & Carmelo Nuñez & Juan Rincón-Zapatero, 2009. "On the impossibility of representing infinite utility streams," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 40(1), pages 47-56, July.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1977. "On Weights and Measures: Informational Constraints in Social Welfare Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(7), pages 1539-72, October.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2003.
"Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with Inter-generational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian,"
03-03, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kaushik Basu & Tapan Mitra, 2003. "Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with InterGenerational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1557-1563, 09.
- Brown, Donald J & Lewis, Lucinda M, 1981.
"Myopic Economic Agents,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 359-68, March.
- Burness, H Stuart, 1976. "On the Role of Separability Assumptions in Determining Impatience Implications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(1), pages 67-78, January.
- Svensson, Lars-Gunnar, 1980. "Equity among Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1251-56, July.
- Banerjee, Kuntal & Mitra, Tapan, 2007. "On the impatience implications of Paretian social welfare functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 236-248, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:49:y:2013:i:2:p:134-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.