Impatience implication of weakly Paretian orders: Existence and genericity
We study order theoretic and topological implications for impatience of weakly Paretian, representable orders on infinite utility streams. As a departure from the traditional literature, we do not make any continuity assumptions in proving the existence of impatient points. Impatience is robust in the sense that there are uncountably many impatient points. A general statement about genericity of impatience cannot be made for representable, weakly Paretian orders. This is shown by means of an example. If we assume a stronger sensitivity condition, then genericity obtains.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 49 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Donald J & Lewis, Lucinda M, 1981.
"Myopic Economic Agents,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 359-368, March.
- Donald J. Brown & Lucinda M. Lewis, 1978. "Myopic Economic Agents," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 481, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kaushik Basu & Tapan Mitra, 2003. "Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with InterGenerational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1557-1563, 09.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2003. "Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with Inter-generational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian," Working Papers 03-03, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Banerjee, Kuntal & Mitra, Tapan, 2007. "On the impatience implications of Paretian social welfare functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 236-248, April.
- Ok, Efe A. & Benoît, Jean-Pierre, 2007. "Delay aversion," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 2(1), pages 71-113, March.
- Jean-Pierre BenoÃ®t & Efe OK, 2005. "Delay Aversion," 2005 Meeting Papers 752, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ram Sewak Dubey & Tapan Mitra, 2011. "On equitable social welfare functions satisfying the Weak Pareto Axiom: A complete characterization," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 7(3), pages 231-250, 09.
- Dubey, Ram Sewak & Mitra, Tapan, 2010. "On Equitable Social Welfare Functions Satisfying the Weak Pareto Axiom: A Complete Characterimplete Characterization," Working Papers 10-02, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Burness, H Stuart, 1976. "On the Role of Separability Assumptions in Determining Impatience Implications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(1), pages 67-78, January.
- Juan Crespo & Carmelo Nuñez & Juan Rincón-Zapatero, 2009. "On the impossibility of representing infinite utility streams," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 40(1), pages 47-56, July.
- Rincón-Zapatero, Juan Pablo & Núñez, Carmelo & Crespo, Juan A., 2007. "On the impossibility of representing infinite utility streams," UC3M Working papers. Economics we075530, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Stuart Burness, H., 1973. "Impatience and the preference for advancement in the timing of satisfactions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 495-507, October.
- Lauwers, Luc, 2010. "Ordering infinite utility streams comes at the cost of a non-Ramsey set," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 32-37, January.
- Luc LAUWERS, 2009. "Ordering infinite utility streams comes at the cost of a non-Ramsey set," Working Papers Department of Economics ces09.05, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein & Ted O'Donoghue, 2002. "Time Discounting and Time Preference: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 351-401, June.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1977. "On Weights and Measures: Informational Constraints in Social Welfare Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(7), pages 1539-1572, October.
- Svensson, Lars-Gunnar, 1980. "Equity among Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1251-1256, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)