Impatience implication of weakly Paretian orders: Existence and genericity
We study order theoretic and topological implications for impatience of weakly Paretian, representable orders on infinite utility streams. As a departure from the traditional literature, we do not make any continuity assumptions in proving the existence of impatient points. Impatience is robust in the sense that there are uncountably many impatient points. A general statement about genericity of impatience cannot be made for representable, weakly Paretian orders. This is shown by means of an example. If we assume a stronger sensitivity condition, then genericity obtains.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan A. Crespo & Carmelo Núñez & Juan Pablo Rincón-Zapatero, 2007.
"On the impossibility of representing infinite utility streams,"
Economics Working Papers
we075530, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Juan Crespo & Carmelo Nuñez & Juan Rincón-Zapatero, 2009. "On the impossibility of representing infinite utility streams," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 47-56, July.
- Kaushik Basu & Tapan Mitra, 2003.
"Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with InterGenerational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1557-1563, 09.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2003. "Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with Inter-generational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian," Working Papers 03-03, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Burness, H Stuart, 1976. "On the Role of Separability Assumptions in Determining Impatience Implications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(1), pages 67-78, January.
- Donald J. Brown & Lucinda M. Lewis, 1978.
"Myopic Economic Agents,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
481, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1977. "On Weights and Measures: Informational Constraints in Social Welfare Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(7), pages 1539-72, October.
- Banerjee, Kuntal & Mitra, Tapan, 2007. "On the impatience implications of Paretian social welfare functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 236-248, April.
- Lauwers, Luc, 2010.
"Ordering infinite utility streams comes at the cost of a non-Ramsey set,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 32-37, January.
- Luc LAUWERS, 2009. "Ordering infinite utility streams comes at the cost of a non-Ramsey set," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces09.05, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein & Ted O'Donoghue, 2002. "Time Discounting and Time Preference: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 351-401, June.
- Stuart Burness, H., 1973. "Impatience and the preference for advancement in the timing of satisfactions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 495-507, October.
- Ok, Efe A. & Benoît, Jean-Pierre, 2007.
Econometric Society, vol. 2(1), pages 71-113, March.
- Svensson, Lars-Gunnar, 1980. "Equity among Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1251-56, July.
- Dubey, Ram Sewak & Mitra, Tapan, 2010.
"On Equitable Social Welfare Functions Satisfying the Weak Pareto Axiom: A Complete Characterimplete Characterization,"
10-02, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Ram Sewak Dubey & Tapan Mitra, 2011. "On equitable social welfare functions satisfying the Weak Pareto Axiom: A complete characterization," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 7(3), pages 231-250, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:49:y:2013:i:2:p:134-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.